chapter thirty-five

note: this update is late because i tried my hardest to write out the jily wedding in detail, but failed every single time. i'm sorry, but the thought of marriage and weddings literally triggers my gag reflex so uh.. yeah

August 31st, 1979 - The Burrow

People were rushing around the many floors of the Burrow, not a rare occurrence given how big the Weasley family was, but that day was not just any regular day. No, not when James and Lily Potter were finally ready to tie the knot. It really was a humbling experience for Lily especially, given just how many years she had been adamant on hating him. Despite that, she was relatively calm as Alice, Marlene, and Dorcas were rushing around to help her get ready.

The wizard, on the other hand, was not calm. Not in the slightest bit, "Where are the rings? Pads, you've got the rings, right?" he asked hurriedly, "Oh Godric, and what about the food? How's Molly faring there? She does know that some people are vegetarian-"

Remus grabbed him from the shoulders, shaking him, "Take a breath, Prongs, everything's under control," he smiled

"It doesn't need to be under control, it needs to be perfect!"

Indeed James was nervous, but more than that, he was feeling insecure, for probably the first time in his life. This was Lily fucking Evans, the girl who had called him an arrogant toerag his entire life, and who now was marrying him. What stopped her from running out of the wedding? What stopped those same feelings that caused her to reject him so many times from resurfacing?

Sirius, sensing that the situation was turning bad, knew what his brother needed. If there was anything that could calm James Potter down in an instant, it was competitiveness, and friendly teasing, "Merlin, look at you, you're practically eating out of the palm of her hand," he teased

James looked at his brother affronter, while Peter snorted and Remus laughed outright, "You're the one saying that, Pads?" asked the werewolf

"Yeah, why shouldn't I be?"

Now, the other three were laughing, while Sirius was trying to conceal a smirk at seeing James finally having a breath and relax, "What was that, Nephera darling, some water? Why yes, right away, warm, cold, room temp? And what kind? Natural spring-" mocked James

"I do not talk like that!" yelled Sirius

"You're right, you sound far more pathetic than that," deadpanned Peter

Remus jumped on the joke as well, "Nephera, please punch me in the face," he made his voice sound higher

The three of them were laughing freely at the expense of the fourth before a heavy atmosphere fell over the room once again. While it was a happy day for all of them since James was getting what he had wanted since pretty much the first time he'd stepped foot in Hogwarts, there was a bittersweet feeling to it since Nephera, Peter, Dorcas and the rest would be leaving right after the wedding for their mission.

"When are you leaving?" asked James, looking at Peter

They were all worried about their friends, but Sirius was actually being eaten alive by it. He knew what this mission entailed, minimal communication, no specific time frame, and of course, the danger. He tried to push away the thoughts that told him this would be the last time he'd be seeing her, reminding himself of who exactly he was dating, but it was easier said than done.

"Right after the wedding, but this is your day, Prongs. Now come on, we need to go out there," replied the mousy boy, smiling slightly

Nephera, who had just apparated to the Burrow, walked inside to find utter chaos. Of course, it was to be expected given the event that was taking place that day, but the addition of Molly and Arthur's small army of children only made matters worse, "Oh, Nephera darling, you're here," smiled Molly as she passed in front of the younger witch, "Listen, can you do me a favor and entertain the kids? Talk to them or- Fred, let go! Just deal with this, please,"