23: If Ghosts Aren't Real, Then What The Hell Is This?

"I'm going to talk to Roger for a bit so I'll look for you guys a bit later."

Y/n tried prying the brown haired boy from her leg but gave up, "I'll be back Matt, come on." she giggled.

"We'll wait for you outside." Mello said. Y/n didn't think they'd be so attached to her so quickly or at all.

Approaching a door with Roger's name engraved on it, the four stopped "Fine, wait out here." Matt reluctantly let go.

"Hurry because it'd be nice to beat someone else in Mario Kart other than Mello." Matt snickers whilst the blond playfully pushed him.

"We'll see about that." Y/n opened the door, giving the boys one last look as she entered and closed the door.

She turned her head expecting to see the old man but met a pair of eyes that were already on her.

Her breath hitched seeing the man before her, even stepping back a bit.

Tears edged their way out already.

Y/n held her gaze as she watched the man with his hands in his pockets.

"L?"

"Meine geliebte."

It was him, the man she thought that was dead for almost three weeks was right before her with out a scratch.

He approached the teary eyed girl slowly.

When inches away from her, he brushed her hair out of her face. The face he had longed to see for so long.

When his hand left her face and looked at him, the two being silent, L waited for her to say something...anything.

Y/n slapped him.

The detective's head turned with the impact and he held where she had hit him, "I deserve that,"

"You better explain yourself right now." Y/n said sternly through her teeth.

L sighed, looking at her distressed figure, her eyebags were worse that his and he hated that, "We were going through with the plan when Watari deleted all the information, I knew something bad had happened since I instructed him to do so if he was to die. I was expecting to be next but I didn't. The shinigami died before she could write my name so I took that to my advantage."

"And faked your death?"

"Exactly."

Y/n scratched her head, "Why did you take so long to tell me huh?" she pushed him slightly in anger but he barely moved, "Tell me why I had to suffer for almost 3 fucking weeks! I hadn't slept, I haven't eaten properly."

She pushed him again but it was futile as he didn't move, " I haven't been doing anything but cry, thinking I lost the man I love! I've been miserable for so long L! So fucking miserable and alone!"

Tears finally made their way down as she looked at him. Lawliet hated that, he hated he had to do this and the pain he had brought to her, he didn't mean to.

"Y/n I'm sorry I really am, this was the only way I can guarantee both of our safety, I truly didn't mean for it to take as long as did. I'm sorry." He wiped her tears with his thumb, "Please don't cry."

The door behind them slowly opened and the three boys peered out, "We heard yelling is everything okay?" Matt asked.

After seeing L they went crazy and their eyes widen immediately tackling the insomniac to the floor

Laughing, L calmed them down and conversed with them as Y/n grabbed her composure and wiped her tear stained face

It was useless as it always found a way to run down her cheek again.

The four stood to their feet, the kids looking back and forth between the two adults, "What's going on?" Mello asked.

"Boys, this is my girlfriend, Y/n."

"Yeah we know her but how the hell did you pull her?" Mello scoffed

"You know her?"

"We met her a few years back in the park." Near said holding onto Y/n's sleeve.

"We heard Y/n yell." Matt said softly, "We wanted to make sure everything was okay."

"Your mentor over there." she pointed to L, "Faked his death three weeks ago and just decided to fill me in."

The three cringed loudly

"That's bad." Matt shook his head.

Mello laughed "If I was her I'd kill you for real."

"I'm thinking about it."

L approached the girl again placing a hand on the side of her face, he was careful in doing so and quite frankly was expecting her to hit him again.

"Y/n, I know you didn't deserve that but Kira thinks I'm dead. I'm here now."

As mad as she was, Y/n would be lying if she had said she wasn't relieved.

Pressing her lips against his, her hands ran through his hair as his hands moved down to her waist, holding her tighter and pressing his body against hers more.

"EW." two of the kids groaned in unison.

"We didn't have to see that."

"Get a room," Matt fake gagged

"If you faked your death, did you fake Y/n's as well?" Near asked ignoring the remarks of his peers

L looked at his white haired successor, "Yup, y/n commits suicide upon hearing my death and a body was found in a hotel room weeks later."

"That would be believable considering the stunt I pulled." Y/n muttered

"What stunt?"

"Do you have the ears of a bat Near? Holy hell." Y/n asked, immediately groaning after.

L looked at the girl before him, "What did you do?"

"Oh Nothing." She looked down at her feet, hoping the topic will pass by.

"Y/n."

oop, that tone was quite stern she thought

"Fine," Y/n crossed her arms, "I may or may not have held Light at gun point."

L eyes immediately widened, "You what?"

"Woah." Matt laughed.

"Marry me." Mello awed.

"I was upset okay? What was I supposed to do? Hand him a bouquet of flowers and tell him 'Job well done?'"

"I think you were supposed to do anything besides hold a gun to a serial killer's head."

Y/n glanced at Matt who then laughed "Look I didn't kill him and I think that's the most important part,"

L rubbed his temple for a bit, "What did you say?"

"I told him off, I told him he killed you both and I was gonna kill him for that." Y/n came clean

"If this Light Is Kira, wouldn't he try to kill Y/n after she did that?" Near asked.

He made a point.

L bit on his nail, "That's what I'm thinking, how are you not dead?" Thinking, he looked at the floor.

He would have written her name, killing her by suicide, the Kira I know wouldn't pass up a opportunity like this The detective thought.

"Unless." he mumbled "Y/n, What name do you go by?"

"Uh, Is that a trick question?"

"No, It isn't. What full name does everyone call you?"

"Y/n Kitamura."

"What name do you stick with?"

"Y/n L/n." Immediately she understood, "Oh."

"Did he use the wrong name?" Mello asked.

L smiled, "Indeed which works out in our favor."