36: The Greatest Detective's Hardest Case Yet

"CCTV cameras show she was heading to the cemetery's direction." Near said.

"There are no cameras outside the cemetery." L muttered, "Nor from there to the park."

Near spun around in his chair to look at L, "Which means we aren't dealing with an idiot. Her kidnapper knows what he's doing."

L shook his head while reaching for the third lollipop in the last 10 minutes.

Y/n had been missing for 3 days.

In which he never slept or barely batted an eye.

"Run Y/n's license's plate. He had to have taken the car with him. Get the last place that car was seen," L ordered Gevanni and Halle

They moved right away because everyone knew he meant business right then

"I can't believe I left her here." L buried his face in his hands, "Why did I do that?"

The white haired teen hopped off from the bed and approached L who crouched on a seat in front of the monitors.

"I don't think regretting your decisions is going to bring her back."

L looked up with glassy eyes, it shocked Near to see him like in that state.

He wasn't crying but sure as hell close to it. Just the thought of losing someone else important to him.

The last time the ravenette shed a tear was for Watari's funeral.

"You are a detective, L." Near said as he sat on the floor, picking up a toy car, "You've dealt with more challenging cases than this." the white haired youngster reminded in a matter-of-factly manner.

"L." Halle called as she entered the bedroom, "You want the bad news or the good news first?"

L sighed and stood from his seat to head over to the table at the back of the bedroom, "Just give me the bad news first."

L picked up a file from the table that was filled with pictures of Y/n before she was taken.

"Well the officers had no luck so far in finding Y/n-"

"Of course they didn't." L interrupted in annoyance while gripping the file in his grasp tighter, causing crinkles appear on it.

Halle walked closer to put a hand on his shoulder, "You didn't let me finish." she spoke, "But they did find Y/n's car on the outskirts of Winchester."

"What are the chances she's still in Winchester L?" Halle asked.

L had no idea, no clues which frustrated him.

Gevanni groaned as he walked in the room, "I missed the parade. I was hoping to catch it but I had to be late." he rolled his eyes.

"The Pre-Christmas parade?" Halle laughed, "That was days ago, you're more than late."

The detective strode over to a calendar and everyone watched at his sudden movement.

"Y/n was taken on the day of that parade. Everyone in Winchester goes to that event." L bit on his thumb, "Which means someone had been watching her prior to know she wouldn't have attended."

"How do you know that?" Gevanni asked.

"Y/n used to go to the Pre-Christmas parade with her father but when Y/n came back to England she started visiting his grave on that day instead." L said, muttering aloud more to himself than the others in the room as his eyes subconsciously wavered as he concentrated.

"Her kidnapper would have known that and took the opportunity where she would be alone with no one around to see." Halle shared her thoughts as she sat on the bed, "What should we do L?"

A moment of silence went by, L stood there staring off. Everyone wondered what the detective was thinking.

"Near." L called. Near continued playing with his cars but was well aware and listening, "Find everything on Will Perkins."

Without a word Near went to his laptop and started typing.

"Can someone please bring me more cake? I'm growing restless here."

Without hesitation Gevanni spun around on his heels to walk out the door to the orphanage's kitchen to satisfy the detectives demand.

"You know L." Halle trailed off, "You should get some rest. I haven't seen you sleep in the last couple of days." the blonde haired woman consoled, she attempted to anyway.

L was annoyed at the assumption that he would sleep like a baby whilst his love was out there in the hands of some cretin.

Who knows what she was going through right now? If she was even alive.

"I'll sleep when I see Y/n safe and without a scratch in front of me."

Gevanni returned with L's cake in which he immediately starting eating

After a couple seconds Near shook his head and spun the laptop around for everyone to see the screen.

"I don't have the required skills to access his data, as of now he has none."

"That's suspicious. That doesn't really scream innocence does it?" Said Gevanni as he leaned against the frame of the door, crossing his arms.

"Who is Will Perkins, L?" Halle asked, clearing the silence.

With the fork still in the detective's mouth he spoke, "The ex boyfriend of Y/n. I met him a couple weeks ago." L shook his head whilst staring at the floor, "I didn't like the way he looked at her."

"Of course you wouldn't." Halle laughed as she brushed her light blonde hair off her shoulder, not in a bratty way as the strands genuinely bothered her, "You're her boyfriend. You wouldn't like the way anyone looked at her."

"No." L responded sternly, "I had to pry him away from Y/n the day I met him. If I wasn't there, who knows how far he would have gone."

Gevanni looked up from his phone and sighed, "My buddies at the bureau did some serious digging on Will. He hasn't renewed his driver's license or ID card since he was 17. He's like a ghost."

Pushing the phone in his back pocket he crossed his arms," If you want to know more you have to find the best tech guy out there. His name mightn't even be Will."

"The smartest thing would be to change names, we know he isn't stupid so there's a high chance that's exactly what he did." Halle sighed and she rubbed the bridge of her nose, screwing her golden brown eyes shut, "That makes harder to get him."

L shoved the last bit of the strawberry cake into his mouth. Tears edged its way to the corner of his eyes but he refused to let anyone in the room see him cry.

He remembered how Y/n would always make his cake for him.

Sometimes she would burn it a little and L would smile as she rushed over to the oven. Mumbling and huffing as she put the oven mitts on, taking it out but he'd still eat it anyway.

He always will.

It wasn't like it wasn't edible but L wouldn't have it any other way.

He'd admire the fact that even though she wasn't the best baker out there, Y/n still made an effort to try just for him. She was headstrong on attempting to make it how Watari did since L had taken a love for the way he made it.

Y/n always said she wouldn't be as good as him but would be damn satisfied if she came close. Though the detective reassured that it didn't matter how it came out because he's happy once she was the one making it- Y/n would ignore that completely and still find herself in the kitchen, eyeing down the oven.

Pushing the memories at the back of mind, he cleared his throat, "Leave it to me."