26: That's Our Mello Alright

Author's note: From here on out this book will have a few changes to the plot of Death Note. Okay, Carry on now :)

Staring at the chess board, Y/n took her time in analyzing her situation.

She looked at all her pieces and smirked, knowing she was going to beat her opponent's ass.

With one move, she leaned back more into her chair, folding her arms and closing her eyes in satisfaction after moving her bishop on the board

In a swift motion, L moved one of his pieces and before she knew it, "Checkmate."

Y/n's eyes shot open and looked at the board frantically. Her eyes then trailed up to her boyfriend who crouched opposite her.

He flashed her a small and quick smile which made her scoff, "You cheated.'" she mumbled

"How did I cheat?"

"I don't know, I had my eyes closed."

"I didn't cheat meine geliebte."

Y/n pouted which the detective found adorable, " Don't 'Meine geliebte' me. I want a divorce."

L's smile grew at her tantrum, "We aren't married."

"Yeah, I don't know what's taking you so long." She playfully rolled her eyes.

"Is that something you want?" He asked, studying her body language in talking about the serious topic.

"Not if you keep cheating like that." Y/n laughed whilst setting up the board again

"I'm serious."

"So am I." she laughed once again but her smile dropped a bit when she realized he was actually being serious, "Of course it's something I want. I want to be married and have kids."

L soaked in the information, this conversation was long due and needed to be addressed sooner or later.

L and Y/n strongly believed in communication, even if it was hard or awkward to talk about.

Y/n noticed his silence and rubbed the back of her neck, "Not now though, in the future and stuff like that."

L placed his thumb on his lip.

Kids was a whole other ball game but it didn't freak him out. L's mind started to wander, thinking of little ones of his own running around with Y/n.

God he hope they turn out like her.

He knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, he couldn't simply live without her. Being able to call her wife... he smiled at the thought.

"Okay now you're scaring me." she snapped her fingers in front his face, "Are you malfunctioning? What's going on?"

As he opened his mouth to speak he was interrupted by Y/n's cell ringing.

Digging around in her pockets, she found the phone, answering immediately.

With the phone up to her ear, she stood and ran her fingers through her hair, "Hello?"

"Hello Y/n."

A small smile spread across her face as she recognized the voice, "Hey Near. What's up?"

"I can't call to see how you're doing?" he said monotonously, much like L.

"You can but we both know you're asking with no intentions of caring or paying attention."

Near was a sweet boy but he didn't care much for feeling or irrelevant conversation.

All he was focused on was work much like L.

So similar yet so different.

"Come on Y/n." he paused "don't say that."

Y/n scoffed as she could hear Near having a stupid smile on his face when he talked.

"How's the SPK going?" She dug her free hand in her pocket, rocking back and forth on the ball of her feet.

"Good, CCTV cameras captured you heading to the Yagami residence on the night on L's supposed death, its clear you had a weapon in your back pocket."

"Good that all the evidence we need, all we need now is the book with my name on it."

"Correct."

Y/n rejoiced internally as they were now one step closer to catching that bastard

"You do realize you can be tried for attempted murder once this gets out and it will because its evidence." The way he spoke she knew he was smiling once again.

"What? No way." y/n scoffed, "I call your bluff. "

Y/n turned to her boyfriend who was already looking at her, "Can I be tried for attempted murder sweetheart? "

"Yes you can."

She bit on her bottom lip for a quick second, "You know what Near, I'll take my chances."

"You're not going to prison Meine geliebte, I'll make sure of it."

"Sure is a good day to have a significant other in the justice system."

Y/n rolled her eyes, wishing he was there to see her attitude, "Put it in the 'suck it' bucket Near."

"I should also mention to you that we made our presence known to Light. We are also assisting him and the task force in retrieving the individual known as Sayu Yagami."

Y/n eyes widened, "Heh?!" She yelled, gaining the attention of the detective on the couch still, "What do you mean 'retrieve'? She's been kidnapped? "

"I'm afraid so," the sounds of toy blocks falling in the background on Near's end made it's way to her ears, "The kidnappers requested that the task force hand over Sayu for the notebook."

"Why the hell you didn't start with that?!"

Putting him on speaker now to allow the man in the room with her to hear.

She shoved the chess board off the coffee table to place her phone, then went to grab her laptop, proceeding to sit on the floor after.

"What's going on?" L asked.

"Sayu Yagami has been kidnapped in exchange for the notebook." Near filled him in.

"Is there any audio from the kidnappers calls to the task force? "

"Sending it to you now."

Within seconds she got audio files and played them.

"The kidnappers used an audio modulator meaning we cannot get the original." the sound of clattering of plastic made itself present. It didn't a genius to figure out Near was playing with some toys

"Light willingly sent you this Near?" L questioned referring to the audio tapes.

"Yes, if not, he would've been deemed as more suspicious than he already is."

Y/n played the audio over and over, nearing her ear closer to the speakers. She picked up a small sound in the background of the audio.

A small detail but significant.

"What's wrong y/n?"

"Don't you hear that L?" She asked softly as she concentrated, "What the hell is that?"

Water dripping? No that's too soft. A pen falling? No it's loud. Something breaking? Maybe... but what? She thought

Racking her brain, she thought about possible ideas for the origin of that small sound. Y/n needed to get it, she needed to identify it.

It was like an itch on the back of her brain that can only be scratched if she figured it out.

She furrowed her eyebrows then froze when she finally got it.

"Chocolate."

"That's right Y/n." Near confirmed, "Mello doesn't change, does he?"