▪ Chapter 5 (Paralysis) ▪

"Izuku, wake up," Inko said before gently shaking her son awake. 

     Izuku blinked once, then again, "Mom? What are you doing here? What is going on?" He tried to sit up before wincing from pain in his lower back.

      "You collapsed after chasing after your sister at her school," Inko said plainly, bother clear in her tone. "Why did you bother her, Izuku?"

     Izuku felt tears gather in his eyes, "I-I- She took my chair- I-" He stuttered, trying his best to explain the situation that he was placed in.

     Inko sighed, "If you were missing your chair, you could have just stayed in bed. It's not like you walk to school or anything."

     Izuku slapped himself on the forehead, "My project! I needed to be on campus today!"

     Inko sighed once again, her disappointment ever so growing.

     Recovery Girl walked in with Katsuki trailing behind her. She started to sweat by the letters on her clipboard.

     "Izuku Midoriya, correct?" she asked as she flipped the page on her board.

     Izuku nodded.

     "It looks like you have damaged your vertebrae, at least your lower vertebrae, by putting pressure on it by standing. The weight of gravity seemed to be too much for you. You're very lucky this time. If it had been any longer, you would have lost all motion in your body other than jerks that come normally, in other words, movements that you cannot control. It would have led to complete paralysis," she informed with a grim face. 

     "Also, I would recommend talking with your daughter, Ms. Midoriya. Her injury is non existent, in other words, it doesn't exist. It's fake. She had taken the chair for no apparent reason. A good scolding for her would benefit characterization-" Recovery Girl started to suggest before Inko held up a hand.

     "I do not need to be told how to parent," Inko said. "Hisako must've had her reasons. Though her injury is gone now, she may have felt uncomfortable with standing on it. She is a very rational person. She wouldn't have done it on purpose."

      Recovery Girl sighed, "I understand that, Ms. Midoriya, but she must understand that being a little uncomfortable pales in comparison to complete paralysis and the disturbance of neurons in the spinal cord. And by stating 'she is a very rational person' are you implying that your son is not? He walked all this way knowing that he was in pain, feeling the pain."

     Inko sighed, "I suppose there's no point in stating my reasons. You wouldn't understand."

     Recovery Girl blanked. She coughed lightly into her hand before saying, "Then, I suppose you should still thank this boy, if not anything. The young man helped carry him into my office."

     Izuku stared at the blonde with admiration, 'Had he really carried me to her office?' 

     "Thank you very much!" Izuku said, still sitting on the cot and voicing his thoughts. He had a light blush on his face from being flustered. 

     Inko gave a small smile, "Yes, thank you, Katsuki."

     Katsuki just grunted, being his only reply apparently. 

     Inko turned to face his son, "Let's get you on campus, I could just say you had a doctor's appointment. It isn't a complete lie."

     Izuku shifted so his legs fell off of the white cot, but he paused.

     "Mom?" he asked, carefully looking around the office.

     "Yes, Izuku?" she replied back, turning around and facing her son once again. 

     "Where's my chair?" Izuku asked, curious.

     Inko rolled her eyes, "Hisako has it. Now hurry, I need to get back to work."

     Recovery Girl stopped Izuku from walking, "You'll be completely paralyzed if you keep walking like that."

     Inko yelled from the doorway, "Izuku, now!"

     Katsuki sighed as he slipped his arm under Izuku's legs and another on his back, carrying him in which most people would consider, 'Bridal style'. Not that Katsuki was trying to be romantic, he just thought that it would put the least amount of pressure on his legs.

     Izuku blushed from the sudden position, "Ah- I could just walk-"

     "Are ya deaf? She literally just said you would be paralyzed if you walk any longer," Katsuki said in his own, harsh way. It came out harsh, but Izuku understood the real meaning, 'You'll get hurt. I'll carry you'. He remembered Hisako talking about a friend called Kacchan that used to do that. 

     Inko grew impatient, "Izuku, hurry up!"

     Katsuki dashed outside, trailing Inko with Izuku in his arms. Recovery Girl let out a breath of air, "The next generation is frightening."

762 Words