9 - Past

"Hi there, monkey. Long time no see."

Ryujin stood there in silence, surprised and confused. Heejin, who noticed Ryujin's uneasiness, glimpsed the other person in the room.

"Oh. I didn't know you have a visitor."

Ryujin glanced at Yeji then turned back to Heejin, still not sure what to say.

"Oh, monkey, what's wrong with you today?" Heejin walked towards Ryujin and tapped her shoulder. "Speak up and introduce us."

Ryujin, who realized she should have done that earlier, straightened up and turned to Yeji slowly. "Um..."

"Ugh! What's wrong with you?" Impatient Heejin walked towards Yeji and offered her hand. "Hi, I'm Heejin, Ryujin's friend," she said, wearing the same smile she had in the picture. "Please forgive her for being such an asshole today."

Yeji can't believe how beautiful Heejin is in the flesh. She rose to shake Heejin's hand. "Yeji. Ryujin's friend too."

Ryujin felt her neck itching when she noticed Heejin scanning Yeji's blouse. She remembered it was the shirt Heejin bought for her birthday last year.

"Okay..." Heejin pressed her lips together. "I guess I better go now, monkey."

"But, heeki--"

"Let's just do this some other time." Heejin walked towards the door.

"But when will I see you again?"

Heejin brushed a hand through her hair and sighed. "Some other time, when we're both not busy."

Ryujin breathed out her disappointment. She knows some other time could take longer.

"Don't worry. I won't go anywhere this time. I promise we'll talk sooner. We need to talk." Heejin winked at her. "Be hospitable to your guest first, okay?"

Ryujin looked at Yeji, who gave her a lame smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Yeji. And Ryujin, I'll see you soon. Bye." Heejin waved goodbye and shut the door close.

A long deafening silence then followed the latch of the door. Ryujin clenched her hands into fists, unsure of how to solve her dilemma of either following Heejin or staying with Yeji.

"Ryujin..."

Ryujin turned to Yeji. "Y-yes?"

"I... uh... I think you should--"

Ryujin nodded. "I... I should follow her... yeah..." She walked to the door and halted before opening it. "Just promise me you won't leave, okay?"

"I won't."

After the assurance, Ryujin ran out of the room.

---

Ryujin found Heejin standing in front of the elevator. "Heeki!"

Heejin smiled. "Oh. Couldn't say I wasn't expecting you to follow me. What's with the frown?"

Ryujin stepped closer. "I... I don't know. Maybe I'm just afraid I might not see you again..."

"Oh, monkey..."

Ryujin held Heejin's hands in hers. "I've waited for you, heeki, for over a year."

Heejin looked down at their hands. "I'm sorry. I know my appearance was past late than what I've promised. But I didn't ask you to wait for me."

"I know. I just..." Ryujin let go of Heejin's hands, her eyes darting around. She sighed. "I've been waiting for this day. There is so much to tell you..."