45 - Friends

"So, you're saying that you two got back together?" asked Yeji before sipping from her glass of mango juice.

"Yeah. Officially together again." Yeonjun smiled as he twirled the pasta in his fork. "Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the breakup?"

"Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup made her realize how much you mean to her.."

"It did. And honestly, she panicked a little after she found out from Dad I was going out with you." Yeonjun chuckled.

"Should I hide now?"

"Don't worry. She doesn't kill. But yeah, she tortures."

"Ooh. Scary." Yeji shuddered. Yeonjun laughed again. "On a serious note tho, I'm happy for you."

"Thank you." Yeonjun lightly bowed. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The break up was hard for me, yes, but I am happy it happened."

Yeji folded her arms on the table. "And why is that?"

"If Yoojung didn't break up with me, I don't think we'll get closer," said Yeonjun. "Being friends with you is a breakup retribution I'm glad happened."

Yeji gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things have been troubling her lately, Yeonjun is one of those few people who give her joy from time to time.

"I'm thankful to have you as a friend too," she said.

Yeonjun went back to his food. "How about you, how's he?"

Yeji was glad that she didn't choke on her food. Because the truth is, she's not okay.

She never got the chance to talk to Ryujin towards the end of the week because Chaeryeong was very diligent to drive her and pick her up. Yeji didn't even bother to ask Ryujin out over the weekend because she remembered how Chaeryeong told Lia, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Ryujin.

Yeji isn't sure how it happened. It's like she doesn't exist in Ryujin's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Yeonjun asked her out today because she was gloomy all day in her room.

"It's hopeless, Yeonjun," said Yeji, absently tapping the tip of her fork on her plate.

"Hmm? How come? What happened?"

"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."

"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Yeonjun, pausing a little while waiting for Yeji to look up to him. "It's that Ryujin, right?"

Yeji's chest pounded. "H-how--"

"Well, anyone can notice the closeness. But only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."

"Oh." Yeji looked down, feeling shy.

"She's the one with you in Haeundae, right?" asked Yeonjun, getting a nod from Yeji. "She's the one you were talking to in the café that Friday night too, right?"

Yeji nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell you because I thought you'd look down on me."

"Why would I do that? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Yeonjun sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"

"You know it's not as easy as what you're having with Yoojung."

"I know. But you can't keep yourself hurting like that. Is this because of your mom?"