51 - Family

"I always knew our meeting in Taipei wasn't by accident," said Chaeryeong, pointing a finger at the receipt.

Ryujin signed the paper. "Whatever, serendipity lover."

"Yah! You wouldn't get Yeji if it wasn't for me, right?"

"And you wouldn't have met Taehyun if I didn't invite you to the party, right? I know what you're pointing out, Chaeryeong. Why are you being so nostalgic?"

"It's because today is my second anniversary with Taehyun! Have you forgotten that?"

"Oh? Is it today?" Ryujin glanced at her watch to check the date. "Wow. How time really flies, huh? So, you're really over Taipei now, huh?"

"Taipei will always have a special place in my heart," said Chaeryeong. "But yeah, I have to move on someday, right?"

"And you've got the right to be happy."

"Exactly."

Ryujin stared at Chaeryeong, realizing how special their friendship had become through the years. "I'm happy you're with Taehyun, Chaeryeong."

Chaeryeong smirked. "Taehyun kept complaining about how their department got boring since you left them."

"Oh, c'mon." Ryujin tapped her palm on the counter. "I quit my job almost two years ago and he hasn't adapted to it yet?"

"Maybe he just misses you?"

"Or maybe he misses my visitors before? Aw!" Ryujin earned herself a slap from Chaeryeong. "Since you mention that, maybe let's hang out sometime; you and Taehyun, me and Yeji."

"Sounds good! I think we should do it at least once a month. I rarely see you now after you opened your studio."

Ryujin sighed. "Yeah. I've been busy. Dad's putting more pressure on it."

"But at least you know that your business is in good hands, right?"

"Yeah..." Ryujin shrugged, looking down at her phone to check the message that just came in. "All right. I need to go now. The queen texted me. "

Chaeryeong raised an eyebrow. "Queen?"

"Yeji's mom. She said Yeji's in my apartment now and wants me to surprise her."

"Wow. Finally in good terms with your in-law, huh?"

"We're getting there, Chaeryeong. Slowly but surely."

Chaeryeong handed Ryujin the bouquet she ordered. "What's with those? I bet you've done something to piss Yeji, huh?"

"Well," Ryujin started, scrunching up her face. "Let's just say that we haven't seen each other for a week. And I missed our third anniversary..."

Chaeryeong's eyes widened. "What? Jeez. You're in trouble, Ryujin. BIG trouble."

"I know. I know. The queen even scolded me for upsetting her daughter. I told Yeji I'll be out with my dad for three days only but something came up. We had to stay in Bangkok for a week."

"Let me know the address of your funeral so I could send you flowers, okay?"

"You're crazy."

"Good luck with Yeji later."

"I'll call you if I make it out alive."

---

While walking back to the parking lot with flowers in hand, Ryujin spotted a familiar figure walking on the other side of the street.

Long legs, slim figure, and that sexy signature walk; she could not be mistaken. The woman might have had changed her hairstyle and might dress more differently now but Ryujin surely knows who she is.