44 - Late

Yeji hasn't moved an inch from that couch since came home.

The entire place is quiet and the only thing she can hear is her own breathing.

'I will make her forget you.'

The conversation with Chaeryeong was cut short after Yuna and Lia arrived. Yeji wasn't able to find an opportunity to talk to Ryujin after that.

And now that she's home, Chaeryeong's words continue to haunt her.

Yeji closed her eyes and furrowed her brows.

She should be happy, right? She should be happy knowing someone will be with Ryujin because Yeji won't be able to stand up for her.

But why is Yeji feeling distressed?

It would have been easier if it's one-sided--if Yeji's the only one having these feelings. But it's not like that. Chaeryeong just told her what she has doubted all along: Ryujin is serious about her.

But what would she do now? Yeji can't decide yet but doesn't want to hurt Ryujin anymore. She knows she can't pick Ryujin, but she doesn't want to let her go either. Selfish it may seem, but it is the exact reason for her confusion.

What's hurting her more is the fact that Ryujin obviously feels comfortable around Chaeryeong. Yeji knows if she won't make a move anytime soon, Chaeryeong will surely be able to replace her.

---

Yeji is walking towards the lift when she spotted two familiar figures waiting there.

She smiled at the sight, knowing the back she's looking at belongs to Ryujin. However, her smile faded as guilt strikes her again when she saw the crutch on Ryujin's right hand.

Yuna noticed her. "Hello there, beautiful!"

"Hello there, handsome," she greeted. "Getting lost here this early, huh?"

"Best friend duties." Yuna pointed at Ryujin. "Can't drive."

"Well, isn't that sweet of you?" Yeji turned and playfully nudged Ryujin. "Good morning."

Ryujin glanced at her and forced a smile. "Morning." She turned away after, looking at the floor signal.

Yeji took it in her mental notepad. Ryujin didn't completely ignore her, but something's still off.

Still, it's progress.

Yeji went back to Yuna. "Where's your girlfriend?"

"She went ahead of us. I had to pick this brat here first," said Yuna, lightly punching Ryujin who responded with a harder nudge. Yuna laughed. "Well, since Yeji's here, I better go ahead. Could you assist her for me, Yeji?"

Yeji unconsciously brought a hand to her chest, emotionally unprepared to be alone with Ryujin.

"Y-yeah. Sure."

"Don't sweat it. I can handle myself," said Ryujin. She turned to Yuna and punched her. "And don't think of me as a weakling!"

Yuna stepped backward to keep a distance from the attacker who's seriously throwing her punches. "I better go now, Yeji, before someone here bruises me."

Yeji chuckled. "Okay. You take care."

Yuna politely bowed at Yeji before turning to Ryujin. "Dude, I'll pick you up later. Okay?"

"Go already, will you," said Ryujin, pretending to be annoyed. She looked back at the floor signal, tapping her crutch on the floor.

Yeji smiled. It's just now that she admitted to herself that Ryujin's mere presence is giving her solace.