63 🌙 The girl behind the glass

Jules Martin

The storm of nurses fiddling with tubes and other medical equipment was making me panic. Disorientated and confused only one thing matter to me, the one thing that would always matter to me most.

"Luna!" I yelled, still coughing on my airway being dry, my eyes crusty and painful. "Luna!" I choked on her name, while two nurses held me down with superhuman strength. I was moving erratically and out of control, breathing heavy while the heart monitor in the background was accelerating. "What's happening!" I cried looking around the pale and cold room, to find a familiar face. "Lu!" I yelled, while pulling out some tube in my arm that was stinging me the more I moved.

"Calm down! Please!" One nurse pressed while she held my arm into the bed.

I'm not calm!

What the fuck is happening to me!

"Jules! It's okay, you're going to be okay. Just calm down." The nurse repeated and I didn't even bother to look at her when she held me down, my chest moving violently as I took unsteady breaths. Being pressed into what I considered a hospital bed I pushed my head to the side, and there she was, behind a glass barrier, barely able to get a glimpse behind the nurse's arm.

Luna.

Luna?

My breathing clamed if not stopped at the sight of her in a hospital bed, in a similar looking room as mine, rigid and boring, everything she wasn't. "Luna!" I called out for her, whimpered almost. Tears prickled my eyes as I noticed the way she was hooked up to tubes, not breathing on her own, and her head wrapped in a bandage, her hand softly laying on the white sheets, but not moving a single hopeful inch. "Please. Please tell me what's going on!" I asked the nurse, yet I never took my eyes of the girl laying behind the glass.

I'm not stuttering anymore?

What's going on!

How am I not stuttering!

I felt the nurse's eyes burn on the side of my face. "Are you calm?" I nodded, feeling the tears fall past my lashes. "Do you know her? Do you know Luna?" She said calmly, but her voice was anything but soothing the panic.

"She's my girlfriend." I turned my head to the nurse and I could tell by the way she looked at me that wasn't true, not in this world. She looked at me like I had lost my mind, actually lost it.

No. No. No. No!

Both nurses look at each other when they read the panic on my face. "Sorry, but I think you're maybe mistaking her with another girl." She didn't question, she just said, and my words as a lie.

"It's perfectly normal, to be confused right now." The other calmly added, but I was anything but calm.

"No! You're lying!" I jolted up, ripping my arm away from their grasp. "You're lying!" I repeated, sneering at the both of them while they pushed me back, trying to fight to get to my iv. "What's going on!" I cried, tears falling down my face like they were giving up the fight against gravity. Like the way I felt myself falling again, knocked out, but this time I didn't go back to my safe place, I went into the dark. Complete pitch black emptiness.

***

The next time I opened my eyes, confusion didn't smack into me like before, only sadness filled my soul. With little idea what was happening to me, to Luna too as she was here yet so far away, I woke up to my parents and Céline sitting by my bed.

My eyes slowly fluttered open, my mind making out a picture that wasn't quite right. "Maman, where's Gabriel?" I whispered painfully as the sedative was still numbing me, it's traces not yet gone. "Why isn't he here?" I thought that maybe after our visit things were right between us, or he would at least be here in whatever mess I was wrapped up in.