CHAPTER 54 - Of Dark Magic

Author's note: Let me just quickly say with a bittersweet heart - that after this chapter we are entering the CLIMAX. Just a handful more chapters to go, but we still have different POV chapters, addition of new characters, and a war looming overhead.

Being said that - this chapter is a DOUBLE POV. #ElDorado - coined by EternalSu ❤

 #ElDorado - coined by EternalSu ❤

***

A sharp intake of breath had me gasping

A sharp intake of breath had me gasping. I felt breathless.

Fear. Like always.

My eyes snapped open while in a reflex my hand fisted the tunic over my heart. I looked around the arsenal. I spotted Ralph talking to the Commanders of our Realm. Serena rambling, and Una looking at her as if listening to a thrilling story. Nova, busy in conversation with Dylan and two other Eclipses, from Aries House - the Eclipses always fascinated him - and that's why, I, like everyone else, never gave it a second thought when Neo suggested searching for them.

I walked to a window, fear palpating slow and gradual, and looked out. The palace's backyard was empty. My eyes roamed around as far as they could go. For three days, she had been fine. Since coming to the palace, she had been fine. But now... she was scared again. Unease dropped into my stomach like leaden ash.

"Ralph?" I called out, my heart racing wild, eyes unfocused. "Where is Eleni?" He perked up. Everyone did.

"She went up in her room." I registered Una's voice and ran off towards the exit without missing a beat. The distance between the guardhouse and palace seemed never-ending. My unease spread, as I ran across the palace's slippery floor, and flung open the door to her room, not bothering to knock.

I called her name, again and again. But her fear spiked through me like a volcano ready to froth up. Her room was just the same, neat and not a thing out of place. She wasn't here. She was far, far away from me. In danger. Yet again.

It cost me precious moments to run back, and find Dylan. They had all gathered in the backyard. And when our eyes met, I knew he had bad news for me. "The wards, "Dylan gulped, "They were t-tampered with, but I thought one of you must have gone out. T-The magic felt familiar."