chapter 01, bambi

"Let's not fuck it up," Jia said to herself, tying up the laces of her boots. 

She looked at herself one last time in the mirror and produced a smile, a smile she always had on herself, real or fake. 

Jia came out of the airport washroom and sighted her little brother, Kang Hwan, who was patiently waiting for her outside. "Let's go, darling"

Even though from today, she was going to be all alone, with a 5-year-old brother to take care of, she didn't complain about anything. How could she? She always resented her life and wanted an escapism tool. 

Now she has one. She just hoped it turned out in support of her. 

Her brother beside her jumped happily as they made their way to the airplane, sipping on his soda can with his tiny hands. 

"Are you happy, my love?" Jia asked him. Just looking at the little ball of sunshine made her heart fulfilled. 

"Yes, Noona! This is the first time I'm seeing a real airplane!" Hwan said and Jia smiled at him. 

The only playmate Hwan had in his five years of life was his older sister, Jia. He'd been sent to several playschools, but every time he tried to fit in, the meanies made fun of him. 

"Noona, do you know how to fly a plane?" Hwan asked Jia. 

"No, cupcake, do you?" 

"Yes! I can teach you too if you want" the little guy said. "First the plane goes like this," he said, imitating a plane's takeoff with his hands. "Then the plane goes up in the air..." And he continued his flight lesson. 

Jia and Hwan made their way to the seats they were assigned. 

Jia let him sit on the window seat and she sat on the middle one, with a weird, quirky man sitting in the aisle seat. 

Hwan was busy looking out of the window, swaying his legs back and forth. The weird man's eyes fell on Jia's thighs, as she cursed herself for wearing such a short skirt. 

"Noona?" Hwan suddenly called out. 

"Yes, Hwan?" Jia turned to him, ignoring the man beside her. 

"Will Eomma and Appa come to visit us?" 

That was the question Jia dreaded the most. 

Their parents, who were divorced for a week now, sent them away to Seoul to live by themselves. Sending them away almost meant getting rid of them. 

They promised they'd pay all their bills and for the education of the two siblings, but Jia doubted that. 

They'd never been outside Busan. Living in a strange, big city was the last thing Jia had expected.