chapter 10, i don't hate you

One week later

One week later

"I feel bad for you, Jia. You have to take care of a goofy, five-year-old brother AND work part-time?" Yeona complained. "This is too much for an eighteen-year-old!" 

I chuckled, "It's not a big deal, Yeona. I can manage it" 

"Jia," Hana said, taking my hands in hers. "Please tell us if you need any help. I can't see you overworking yourself" 

I smiled and nodded my head. I had never had such caring friends in my entire life. Even though it did feel exhausting at times, I was grateful for having friends who constantly checked up on me.

"I'll see you guys around," I said as I picked up my backpack and exited the school gate. As soon as I was out of sight, I released a sigh. It was exhausting. A lot. It felt like I would break down anytime now. 

With heavy footsteps, I made my way to the coffee shop before my workplace; the library. 

The weather was cold but pleasant, with slight drizzles every now and then. Walking along the streets alone in this weather gave me chills but I liked it in a way. On the crosswalk, I saw a couple pass by, sharing an umbrella and holding hands happily. 

I wonder what it's like to feel loved. 

I pushed open the door of the shop and I was instantly greeted by the aroma smell of coffee. At least, there was something in this world that gave me comfort.

I made my way to the counter, deep in my thoughts, without looking forward until I felt a force of a palm on my forehead. 

I looked up to see Heeseung. 

"T-thanks," I muttered, realizing I was about to hit a wall. 

"I was just protecting the wall," he replied, crossing his arms. 

I rolled my eyes and made my way to the counter to order coffee. I felt a presence behind me as I walked. I took a quick glance behind me and saw Heeseung following. 

For once, he wasn't with his friends, which was kinda less awkward since there weren't six more people bullying me. 

And then that fight...nobody talked about it. He'd give me death glares if Heeseung caught me staring at his bandaged knuckles. And if I looked at Jay's broken nose, he'd look back at me like he'd break my own nose anytime. 

"Miss, what would you like to order?" I was shaken out of my thoughts by the waitress. 

"Uh, yeah, one vanilla latte, please" 

I paid for my drink and waited for it, tapping my fingers rhythmically on the counter table. 

"Why do you come here, like, every day?" Heeseung suddenly asked, placing his hands on top of the counter. 

I turned around to face him. His big, black eyes were mesmerizing, not gonna lie. For once, he didn't look like his typical self; the school bully. He seemed genuinely curious, with his big Bambi eyes that I hated, because he'd look innocent, and that's not him at all. 

"Because, for your information, I work part-time to feed me and my brother and I need something to fuel me up" 

Heeseung stared at me. "You work part-time? Where?" 

"The nearby library" 

A mother and a kid ordered next to us and the kid stared at me. I smiled at her and she hid behind her mother's dress. The lady smiled at me and they went away, after getting their drink. 

"What about you? Why are you here?" I asked Heeseung.

"This is one of the stores my dad owns," he replied, with a bit of pride, picking up the menu card. 

Dang, so I was buying coffee from HEESEUNG all along? I felt like sinking to the ground from embarrassment. 

"Don't worry," Heeseung said, seeing the discomfort in my face. "I'll make it free for you. Even though you hate me. What is your favorite drink?" 

"I don't hate you," I said. "Hate is a strong word. And I like vanilla latte"

"You don't hate me?" 

"Nah. I just find you annoying. A LOT" 

"Dang it," he muttered and I chuckled. The waitress called out my name and I went to get my drink. 

"See you around, Heeseung," I called out, sipping on my coffee. 

"Bye, dummy"

Time skip

I put the last book on the shelf and released a huge sigh. 

"Finally done for the day," I said to myself. 

I checked on the shelves one last time and dusted my hands. I then grabbed my backpack and proceeded toward the reception area. 

"Good night, Mrs. Bae," I greeted my boss, as she smiled and greeted me back. 

"Oh, and Jia," she called out. I turned around to look at her holding a Starbucks cup. 

I looked at her, confusedly. "A handsome guy left this for you," she said, handing me the cup. 

I took it from her. It was a vanilla latte. I noticed a post-it note stuck on it. Work hard, dummy, it said.

I chuckled as I realized whom it was from. 

"Is he your boyfriend?" Mrs. Bae asked me, smiling crookedly. 

"Mrs. Bae!" 

She laughed. "Sorry, sorry! But he's so handsome, is he at least your friend?" 

I thought for a while. I didn't consider Heeseung as my friend. He was just someone who happened to be stuck in the same class as me, whom I found REALLY annoying.

"Nope," I said, without popping the p. We don't pop ps here.  

"Aigoo, youngsters these days," Mrs. Bae said. 

"See you tomorrow, Mrs. Bae," I saluted her and exited the library.