chapter 09, pretend

A/n: the povs are shown by the aesthetics from now on!!

Taking a lonely walk in the middle of the night is all I could think of.

After my endless attempts of trying to sleep failed, I got out of bed and dressed up as quietly as possible, trying not to wake my light sleeping parents up.

I put on my jacket and shoved my phone and wallet inside my pocket. I closed the door behind me, instantly being greeted by the cold, chilly air.

I got into my motorbike and contemplated the places that I could go at this time of the night. I decided to go to the local park and got off my bike as I decided to walk.

"You can't argue with him," Jungwon's voice suddenly popped in my head. "He'll make sure you have a broken nose before you can ask him again"

I rubbed my hands together, trying to warm them in the freezing weather.

"Who says I want to know anyway?"

"Stop pretending. Your face says it all," Jungwon had said. "You're a very bad liar"

"I don't care if he is her boyfriend or not"

Before I knew it, I reached the park. But I was not alone.

A boy was shouting at a girl, who was trying to shout back at him but failed very badly. The boy's voice was echoing through the chill air.

"Why do you keep pretending you are not my girlfriend?! We didn't even break up!" the boy said.

"I don't care if we broke up or not, I don't want to talk to you or see you anymore!" the girl shouted back.

I tried to get closer to see their faces and hid behind a tree nearby. The boy was around the same height as the girl. He was wearing a long coat with heavy boots. The girl was wearing a thin cardigan, which was barely covering her body, and she was shivering, which the boy didn't seem to notice.

The girl turned away from the boy and I saw her face for the first time.

"Jia, you're making me angry for no reason at all. Just tell me what your problem is, we'll figure it out together"

"No Jay, I don't want to figure out anything," Jia said. "Just stop being around me"

Jay seemed to get even angrier. His face reddened and he clenched his fists. But Jia didn't seem to notice it, her eyes looked like she was about to cry.

Then he did something I didn't see coming at all. He pushed her hard and Jia fell to the ground.

Without thinking twice, I came out of my hiding place and advanced toward Jay, punching him in the face and shocking all three of us.

"What the fuck-"

I punched him again.

"Heeseung!" Jia shouted, standing up on her feet. She held me by my arms right before I could hit Jay again. Her hands were freezing cold, and for the first time, I felt sympathetic towards someone.

"How dare you raise your hand on a girl!" I screamed at Jay, who stared at me with a bloody face and a broken nose.

He raised his arm to hit me but I broke out from Jia's hold and pushed him against a tree before he could do anything.

"Heeseung, what is wrong with you?!" Jay shouted.

"What is wrong with you? I have never seen you act this way"

Anger rushed inside me as if held back for a long time. I wanted to break every bone in his body.

That was definitely not the Jay I knew. He always seemed so nice and caring. But I never thought he'd force on someone like this, especially a girl.

"It's not what you think," Jay said, coming forward, cracking his knuckles.

"Then what is it?" I asked with the same anger, moving towards him too.

"Stop it!" Jia suddenly said. "Why do you guys always have to use violence to solve everything?"

I didn't say anything, and neither did Jay. I eyed Jay, who glared back at me.

The dawn seemed to break out, and birds started chirping around us. Jay's face glowed with blood with all the sunshine falling on his face, making him look even more ridiculous.

"Fuck, why am I even here," I said, turning around to leave. "Good luck with your abusive boyfriend, and don't expect me to save your ass again"

***

I silently pushed open the door of my house, hoping no one would catch me.

"Oh, Heeseung!"

"Ah shit," I muttered under my breath. "Good morning mom"

"Where have you been?" my dad asked, giving me his usual angry expression.

"Jogging," I lied.

"Really?" my mom asked. "Since when have you started jogging?"

"Today," I replied. I proceeded towards my room but was stopped by my dad.

"Wait," he said. "What is that on your knuckles?"

"Huh?" I said, looking at it. Then I realized it still had blood on from the fight. I quickly wiped it on my shirt, which only made it worse, because I was wearing a white one.

"Um," I said, thinking for a reason. "I accidentally killed an insect"

My mom raised her eyebrows and my dad folded his arms.

"Anyways, I gotta go get ready for school," I said, escaping from the situation. 

__________

missed me?