chapter 27, daddy issues

Heeseung's pov

I blew out the smoke from my lips as my friends yelled at me. 

"You think you can handle everything alone, huh?" Jake interrogated me. "Look what happened when you took over the matters in your hands alone! Jia got shot and you got stabbed! Isn't that enough for you to start telling us things?"

Jake looked more hurt than angry. He had been my mate since childhood and it broke me to disappoint him like that. 

"Calm down, Aussie," I said, rolling the cigarette between my fingers. "No one died"

"You want someone dead before you start trusting us?!" Jake yelled. He flung a nearby chair frustratingly.

"Jake hyung," Jungwon said in a soothing voice. "It's okay, calm down. Heeseung hyung, you're not alone, you know that right? You can tell us stuff and not get yourself and your girl- I mean Jia killed"

"It's alright, you can call her my girl," I said. I looked at Jay and smirked. "She's all mine since Jay backed off" 

"He did?" Ni-ki's ears perked up. Until now, he was busy on his phone. 

I gave a smug smile to Jay. "You didn't tell them? I think it is something to be celebrated"

Jay gave a sigh and turned his head away, indicating it was true. "She seems to like his presence more than mine," he said. "Even if I and her end up together, she won't be happy. She hasn't in the past." 

"Oh Jay," Sunghoon said, giving him a side hug. "It's all right, you will find someone better" 

"Thanks, babe," Jay said, giving him a finger gun. 

"Ew," Sunghoon punched him in the shoulder, which resulted in the two of them running around, hitting each other while Jay yelled 'babe'.

"You guys give me a headache," Sunoo said dramatically. 

third person pov

Heeseung shut the door behind him as he made next to no noise getting inside the house. It was currently two in the morning, and he had come from the hospital after putting Jia to sleep. 

Being alone in the house in the middle of the night had its own different vibes. And Heeseung was afraid and excited he might want to try this again. 

"Good morning, son"

Heeseung spun around, almost tripping from the stairs to his room. His dad was staring at him. He would've looked menacing if he weren't in his pajamas. 

"Out for a night walk?" he asked Heeseung. It was difficult to read his expression; one, it was dark, and two, he was half asleep. 

Heeseung ran his mind a thousand places to think of an excuse. He could find none. 

"I went to the hospital," he let out. "Jia is injured and she has no one to look after her. And I am the reason why she's there. So yeah" 

"It's that girl again," Mr. Lee noticed. "You won't let go of her, will you?" 

"Never," he said. 

The man walked forward and stood in front of his son. He raised a figure at him and said in a low growl, "Tell her to pack her bags and leave if you don't get the first rank in tomorrow's exam" 

Tomorrow's exam. Well, shit. 

"She's sick and in the hospital," Heeseung said. "She can't write the test" 

"I don't care," his dad said. "I want you in the first position or she's gone. You are ruining our school's reputation by being second" 

With that, the half-asleep man turned around and walked away, slamming the door of his room behind him. Heeseung let out a sigh at the shit he was so used to, yet he was scared. Not for himself. For her. 

He rested his hands on the doorknob and sighed. He flung open the door and the darkness of being away days together struck him. The closet was thrown open the way he had left it, the blankets still crumbled up at the leg of his bed, his desk messy from impulsive studying... no one had bothered to clean up his room, even the maid. 

He sighed for the third time and threw himself on his bed. These were the times when he needed someone to be there for him when he came back home after a long and tired day.

He wished Jia was with him right now. Even if it meant receiving roasts and yells from her, he'd take it. 

His mind wandered places in the next two hours. The fantasy of her being his occupied his head, giving him false hopes he was very well aware of. False hopes, but he liked the thought of it. The places they'd go, the things they'd do... 

When had he turned into this? He used to be a boy who believed love was bullshit. It was nothing but lies, betrayal, and heartbreak in the end. When had it turned into this? How? 

And confessing it to his friends had fueled his emotions. 

It made him impatient. 

Then there was tomorrow to consider. The exam would either mean Jia getting expelled because of his dad's arrogance and competitive nature, or Heeseung would be transferred to another school where no one knew who his dad was. 

Sometimes he was tired of being such a popular person's son. It was exhausting to keep up with so many expectations. 

There were so many escape plans lined up in his head for so long. But it would mean being alone at the end of the day. 

Could he bring someone along? 

What if he succeeded?  

__________________________________

im legit struggling to just stay alive rn lmaoo