chapter 13, flowers and punishments

"Noona, can I call my girlfriend over?" Hwan asked me as I was busy preparing breakfast for both of us.

"Wait, she said yes?" I asked Hwan, surprised. Hwan nodded giving me a big grin.

I sighed. I turned my full attention towards him and said, "Fine, but ground rules first" 

"First, no kissing," I said to Hwan, who pouted sadly. 

"Whyyy," Hwan whined. 

"No," I said firmly. "You're too young" 

Hwan sadly nodded. "Second," I said. "No touchy things" 

"Aww, Noona!" 

"You follow the rules or you don't talk to her anymore," I said, turning my attention back to the omelet that was about to burn. 

Hwan started throwing a tantrum but I just ignored him and continued cooking. 

"Hwan, go get ready for school, don't you wanna see your girlfriend?" 

"Yay!" Hwan suddenly stopped fussing around and threw his hands up in excitement. 

I chuckled as Hwan skipped towards his bedroom. "Kids these days" 

***

After dropping Hwan to his playschool, I put on some music on my phone and plugged in my earphones. 

I hit the play button and just when I got into the trance of the song, I felt another presence beside me. 

I turned towards my side to find Jay, walking beside me. He took out one of my earbuds and put it in his own ear. 

He side-glanced at me and smiled in the most appealing way. "Good morning"

I mumbled back a "morning" and we continued walking in silence.

Suddenly, Jay pointed at something. I followed his finger and saw a field of small, pink flowers. 

Jay walked over to the flowers and plucked out one. "They're so pretty" 

I just watched him as he admired them. Then he walked over to me with a flower in his hand. He stood before me and extended his hand to my hair. 

He stuck in the flower in my hair and smiled at me. "Pretty"

I felt a tint of redness in my cheeks and I diverted my attention to my shoes.

***

We reached the school and I quickly ran inside the washroom to throw away the flower from my hair. 

I could see Jay was trying hard. But for the wrong person. And I felt sorry for him.