Helping hand

I won't lie I'm struggling a bit. I have a kid to take care of and the money I make barley even pays my bills but it's enough. As long as I make sure my kid is fed, clothed, and has a roof over her head I'll be fine.

But I've run into an issue. My daughter, Viv's, birthday is coming up and I need to give her a present. She's been really wanting this doll that has a car with it. I only had money for basic things but I'll have to make an exception.

I would pick up more hours but I don't have anyone to watch my daughter.

I was sitting behind my desk scrolling through my phone. I was trying to find a lower price for this doll.

Kara was ranting about something near me but I wasn't listening to her.

"Excuse me Ms. Y/l/n can I see you in the office" I heard a familiar voice say. My head shot up and I saw Lena standing holding the door open.

"Why didn't you tell me she was coming in today" I whispered at Kara. "I did you weren't listening" she defended.

I quickly got up and walked into the office keeping my head down. I sat in the chair and waited for Lena to come in.

"I couldn't help but notice that you were a little occupied." "I'm sorry I didn't mean to get distracted." "You're usually on top of your work I was just wondering. What's got you so occupied?" "My daughters birthday is coming up and I was trying to save up for this doll she wants but it's so expensive. I was trying to find cheaper ones but I couldn't." "When's her birthday?" "This Thursday" I sighed.

"I thought this job paid pretty good?" she questioned. "Not for the department I'm at. It's the lowest paying job here. But it's just enough that I can pay my bills and feed my daughter." "Well I was just checking on you. Just try and finish your work before the end of the day if you can. If not just let me know and it's all good." "I will thank you" I said getting up and going back to my desk.
-----------
Today was her birthday. I wanted to get off work today but she has school and I couldn't afford to miss any days of work.

I wanted to be happy but I couldn't. She asked for one thing and I couldn't get it for her. One fucking thing.

I was in the middle of doing my work when someone tapped my shoulder. "Can I please talk to you in the office" Lena whispered. "Of course."

I got up and followed her to the office waiting for her to talk.

"Today is Viv's birthday right?" "Yeah." "Do you have any plans for tonight?" "No. I tried making her a cake last night but I failed" I said lightly laughing at the memory. "Well if I'm not overstepping I'd like to have you and Viv over for dinner tonight." "Oh I don't know. I don't want to intrude on your life or anything." "No please I really want to." "Then sure" I said with a smile. "Great. Come over at seven."

I didn't think it was that weird for Lena to invite us over. I wouldn't say we were close but I would say we were newly becoming close friends.

I've hung out with her before so I didn't think it would be awkward or anything.

I didn't want to admit it but I was grateful she invited my daughter and I over. I didn't want to disappoint Viv on her birthday.
-----------
I knocked on the door waiting for her to answer.

I didn't necessarily think it was that odd for Lena to invite me over. I mean it definitely caught me off guard but it's not like Lena is a stranger to me. I've been invited to game nights and stuff I just haven't really talked to her unless it was work related. To be honest I've been to nervous to even approach her if it wasn't about work.

"Just in time the food is done" she said with a smile opening the door. "And happy birthday Viv" she said looking down at her. "Thank you."

"So how old are you now" she asked after letting us in. "Seven." She hummed in response showing us where to sit.

"I hope you're hungry I accidentally made more than I would've liked to" she said serving us the food.

I don't know what I was expecting but this food looked amazing. I didn't think I'd expect Lena Luthor to cook food that looks this good.

"I didn't know you knew how to cook." "I usually don't but I thought I'd try." "Well it looks really good." "Well try it. Tell me what you think. It's okay if you don't like it I can buy us other food." "I'm sure it tastes great" I chuckled.

I looked at Viv and she was already halfway done the plate. "Well it looks like she likes it" I said pointing to my daughter. Lena laughed at how fast she was eating it. I tried the food and I was shocked at how good it was. "Lena this tastes really good. And I'm not just lying to protect your feelings. This tastes amazing" I said with a genuine smile.

Dinner was filled with random conversations. Lena always made sure Viv was involved in what we were talking about and I couldn't be more grateful. She was so thoughtful when it came to Viv. And I could tell Viv was starting to really like her.

Once dinner was done Lena told us to stay at the table because she had a surprise.

She turned the lights off and came out with a cake quietly singing happy birthday. I never thought I'd hear her sing happy birthday. I joined in watching Viv's face light up.

She blew her candles out and Lena turned the lights back on.

"Before you eat the cake your mom has a surprise for you" she said handing Viv a huge gift bag. What was she talking about? Viv quickly took the things out the bag and of course it was the doll and car that she wanted.

"Really" she shrieked. "Yeah your mom kept it here so you wouldn't find it" Lena said.

I was stunned. Lena really did this? I didn't know how to feel? I had so many emotions going through me.

"Why don't you go open it and play for a little" Lena suggested. Without another word Viv hurried on somewhere to go play with her new toy.

"Y/n? I'm sorry if I did too much. I just saw how upset you were when you were looking for her gift and I just bought it for her. I didn't want you or Viv to be upset today. I didn't want to overstep any boundaries and I'm sorry if I did." "Lena this is the nicest thing anyone has done for me. I don't know how to thank you." "Well, if you're up to it I'd love to take you and Viv to this one place. Like a date. It's got something for everyone." "I don't want to take advantage of you Lena. It's really nice that you did all of this and it's already going to take me a long time to pay you back and I want to keep taking things from you."

"No y/n I don't want you to pay me back. I simply just want you and Viv to enjoy your life. Just one date and if you don't like it we can pretend it didn't happen." "I just don't want to put pressure on you Lena. It's a lot to go out with someone that has a kid and I don't want to put you in a weird position." "Y/n I really like you. And don't worry about having Viv. Viv is part of your life and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. She's an amazing kid and I'm happy you even let me meet her. But if you don't want to that's fine. And please do not feel pressured to say yes. It will be completely fine if you don't want to. We can just be friends. Just don't ever think that it will be a problem with me to have Viv around."

"One date" I reasoned. "Great. I will pick you and Viv up on Saturday" she said with a smile.

"Thank you for what you did today Lena. I've never seen Viv so happy to get something." "It was really no problem. I know that she's your whole life. So if she's upset you're upset and I didn't want that on her birthday."

I embraced Lena in a hug kissing her cheek. I couldn't believe she did this for me.

A/n: I just want to wish everyone a happy holidays!! I'm probs not gonna update until after new years so I hope everyone has fun over the holidays :)