CHAPTER TEN

I am officially over being pregnant. I need these children out of me.

My back hurts, it’s killing me. All I want to do is just have this constant pain gone. I would give anything to be back to normal when I didn’t have constant body aches.

Mom says it’s a part of the process but I think that this is no longer a process, I think it’s a punishment. Why does it have to be nine months?

God don’t get me wrong. I am eternally grateful for this gift but I am dying and I need relief. Give a girl a break. Please.

As I lay on a mountain of cushions while I whine about how my back hurts, my mother is making lunch, which seems to be the only good portion of this pain filled afternoon. She hangs in the kitchen with June and Nadia.

Nana took a nap about a few minutes ago. She has been sleeping quite a lot lately. I asked mom about it and she told me that it’s because of how much of a toll Alzheimer's is having on her body. Nana looks more fragile than I have ever seen her. She barely even holds a conversation for long before her mind drifts off and she has no idea who we are or where she is.

My heart breaks every single time we go through an episode with her.

“When is Xander going to be back from work?” June asks as she hands me a bowl of food. My mouth waters at the sight of the curried chicken salad with apples and raisins. It may sound disgusting but it is so delicious. I’ve been experimenting with food ever since I got pregnant and it has been a flavour filled journey. 

“He’ll be back before six, so we don’t get late.” I reply before I dig in and enjoy the food. 

We’re having dinner with Gigi and her family. It would be okay if it is going to be just us, however, Bryce and his family are also going to be present. Thankfully, my parents will also be in attendance. Gigi is the one hosting. I think she just wants us to be there because she needs a buffer. 

She needs me to calm her down if anything goes down. I pray that nothing happens, I am over thsi stupid feud. 

June and Harvey have offered to stay the night at our place to keep a watchful eye on Nana. 

I'm grateful to them for being such a huge help to us tonight.

***

The dinner is held at Bryce and Gigi’s apartment, which is basically Bryce’s old place. Gigi moved in with him after he proposed. It’s definitely more spacious than where we used to live. It may be the same building but the apartments don’t exactly look the same. That is why our rent was never the same price.

It does not even take a few minutes since their arrival before Evelyn reveals her snobby side. “I don’t understand why you don’t live in a bigger and proper place, Bryston. You know you can afford to.” she says to her son, who in turn rolls his eyes at her.

“I like it here mom.”

She scoffs, “You’re a member of the Woods family. You can’t live in such places.”

“Such places?” Mama D asks with narrowed eyes.

I pinch Lex’s thigh due to excitement as we sit on the couch watching all of this unfold. Taking a sip of my mocktail, I watch the two women stare at each other.

Before Evelynn replies, Delmonico, Gigi’s eldest brother steps in. “Can we all take a breather and just enjoy tonight. No drama please.” his gaze shifts between the two mothers.

“I won’t start anything as long as she watches herself.”

My eyes widen as I pinch Lex’s thigh again. He looks at me with a ghost of a smile on his face.