CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

The past few days have been emotionally draining but also enlightening. I have been learning a lot more about Lex and where he grew up. I love hearing June telling me about the life they had here.

The relief is visible on Lex. I can see that there is a bit of weight off his shoulders. He is much more relaxed now than when we first got here.

We spent today indoors, just enjoying time with family. Lex and I have been in bed for the past two hours, watching a movie. I chose 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. When the end credits start to show, I untangle myself from my husband's embrace and go to the bathroom.

I return to Lex's frowning face as he stares at my cellphone screen. "You have a text from Charlie." he says with an edge to his tone.

I walk towards the bed and settle in, "Yeah? What did it say?"

Instead of reading the text out to me, he simply hands over my cell phone.

Charlie: Hope all is well in London, can't wait to catch up with you when you get back.

The message ends with a smiley emoji.

"Oh." I say as my gaze drifts from the screen to Lex who is glowering at the phone. His eyes meet mine and I see that he is not happy.

"He's texting you now? Sending 'smiley' emojis?" he growls out.

"He's my friend."

A deep, angry groan reverberates from his chest as he moves away from me and stands next to the bed. "Your friend? Your friend!" he releases a frustrated sigh. 

Okay, something is wrong here. I move from the bed, walking around it to stand in front of him.

"What's wrong with me being friends with Charlie? We've been friends since childhood, Lex, you know this."

He chuckles, but there is no humor behind it, "The problem is that he doesn't want to be friends with you. If he did, then he would not have cut contact with you. The problem is the fact that he is showing an 'interest' in your friendship now."

Huh?

"You're not making sense."

He looks me dead in the eyes, "He wants you."

Three whole seconds pass as I look at him in shock. I shake my head in disbelief. "That's ridiculous." I say when I find my voice again. 

Charlie? The very same Charles Gallagher I grew up with? That's not true.

His gaze is stone cold, "I'm serious, Rosalie."

My lips open and close, no words leaving. Lex cannot be serious.

"That's not true,"

"It is." he counters.

"It's not true Lex." I argue.

He cocks his head to the side, "Then tell me, my dear wife. Why is what I'm telling you not true?"

I stand firm and hold his gaze, "Lex, you think every man that looks at me, wants to be with me."

Again that humorless chuckle of his flows from his lips. The sound aggravates me.

"Now, that is ridiculous. That man wants what's mine."

"Yours?"

"Mine." he growls out. His hand comes up to tilt my face upwards to his, "You're mine. My wife."

Butterflies wreak havoc in my stomach. I hate how he affects me even when I'm angry at him. "Exactly, and Charlie is also married."

He scoffs, "As if that matters."