Chapter Seventeen- Unexpected Knocks

Just as Scarlett entered her room, she heard a knock on the front door. Since she was the only one home, she went down to discover it to be Erik. Seeing his full profile as she opened the door, she was unable to hide a blush but thankful to the cover of night, he did not see it. Allowing him to walk in, she looked at him from every angle. Her quick analysis revealed a toned physique not well hidden, a clean shave, hypnotizing blue eyes, and a few tattoos. Taking a deep breath as she composed herself, she quickly walked through the house-closing the door behind her.

        "I hope this is not strange...me here." He said taking a look around her house seeing all her embarrassing old photographs when she had braces and loads of acne. But also seeing her brother in photographs and her father.

        "Someone I just met...in my house at almost ten at night? Not strange at all..."

        "I don't want to give you the wrong idea...I just didn't feel right you home by yourself..."

        "How-"

        "No cars in the driveway...and no other lights on. Not even the porch one."

        "Oh..."

        "If you want me to go-"

        "No." She said more enthusiastic than intentionally meaning to.

        He giggled at this.

        "I just mean it's nice having someone here...someone who seems to not want anything..."

        "Well since you asked...do you have a beer?"

        "Aren't you driving?"

        "I don't plan on getting drunk. I just want something. It's the only thing that I enjoy. Can't stand coffee or water much."

        "Oh. Okay..." She said removing herself from leaning on the counter and going to the fridge.

        "If you don't mind me asking...where is your family?"

        "My dad's working."

        "Your mom? Brother?"

        She paused still. Her fingers fondling the top of the beer bottle. She turned to him with a smile.

        "He passed away a little bit ago."

        Errik took her hand from across the counter as she placed the bottle on the counter in front of him.

        "I am very impressed."

        She paused in surprise. "For what?"

        "How well you have handled it..."

        "Since you asked..."

        He smirked.

        "How did she pass? Your wife? If you don't mind..."

        "No. I like talking about her...makes me feel as if she is still alive. Well she actually took her own life. Razors."

        Scarlett stopped dead as her slight smirk turned into a hard line.

        "Oh my gosh. I feel like such a jerk joking about it..." She said placing her head in her hands.

        "It's alright..." He said hugging her. Out of all the moments in her life she shared with Juilan, never once had he hugged her. It was always lust and passion-but not compassion. Errik gave that to her-and she was soaking up every second. That was until another knock occurred at her door. She made her way over expecting it to be Claire or a pizza guy who mistook her house as they did that quite often in her small town. But she froze with fear. It was Julian and he was the jealous type...