Chapter Twenty Six- A Friend's Priorities

As they pulled up to Claire's house. Scarlett called her to find no answer. Waiting a few minutes, she texted only to get an excuse back.

        "Busy. Sorry, talk tomorrow?"

        "K." Scarlett said as she felt completely hopeless. Going home would mean having to deal with her father and his abusive tendencies. She took a deep breath before Errik took her hand in his.

        "I have a boat house you could stay in if you like. It's not much bigger than a hotel room, but it would do for an escape. That way I can keep an eye on you-for you safety." He said quick, realizing without clarification he sounded like a psycho stalker.

        "Are you sure? I don't want to inconvenience you more than I already have..."

        "You haven't! I love being around you. You're fun."

        She laughed. "Fun? Have you been with me? The past forty eight hours I've known you, I've cried more than I've talked..."

        "Then let's change that..." He said driving away from Claire's and to Errik's. Pulling up, she found it to be spacious. The "small" pool house he explained was far more luxurious and impressive than what he said.

        "You are such a liar!" She said walking into the pool house. It was decorated in blues and silvers with a large window to overlook the pool. A bed with a dresser sat in one corner as a television sat across from it.

        "I don't care much for material things..." He said taking her coat and placing it over the arm of the couch beneath the window. "Here's the bathroom. I will bring you towels when I let you settle in. Please, stay as long as you want. It will actually be nice having someone else here..." He said giving her a smile before turning.

        "Where are you going?" She asked in desperation.

        "Towels." He said with a grin.

        "Right..." She said closing her eyes and turning and verbally getting angry at herself for her stupidity.