29 || Shattered Hearts

Shit

Shit.

Shit.

I thought of so many things since last night. But none of them included Nick coming to see me. I'm frozen in place, not paying attention to whatever Kenneth is saying as an ebony skinned woman, a hundred percent prettier than me approaches Nick and fawns all over him. Nick seems visibly uncomfortable as they both settle in their booth. Suddenly I can't watch anymore, I just want my shift to be over so that I can do what I do when I'm scared. Run.

"You okay?" Kenneth snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah," I sigh at the same time Kenneth's eyes drift between Nick and me.

"I always knew there was something between you two," he says.

"Um.....what?" I try to play dumb but I fail miserably when Miss Hottie throws an arm around Nick.

"He'd shoot me daggers from his eyes when we did that photoshoot at LiAne," He chuckles.

"Bri, that's your table," Jodie says from behind me and squeeze my eyes shut, because I know exactly what table she's referring to.

"Can you help me?" I give her my best pleading eyes. Jodie glances back and forth and pins me with a stare that says, "I'm not fucking doing that for you."

"Someday you're gonna have to face him," She says and wanders off to another table.

"I'm gonna head home, you good?" Kenneth says and I nod, a fake smile plastered on my face.

"Yeah, that's my last table after all," I say more to myself than him.

Deep breaths Bri, she's just a hot chick and he's just the man that confessed his love to you; and you ran away........

That sounds just about right.

I'm so full of shit.

I walk towards their table with a fake smile plastered on my face, Miss Hottie beams at me for a second, before her face turns into a scowl. That's weird.

"Um, welcome, what would you like to order?" I ask, handing menus to them both.

"I don't know, Nick, you hungry?" She asks Nick who recovers from staring at me and smiles at her briefly.

"Nah, I'll probably just have some ice tea," Nick says, his eyes fixed on her.

"Ice tea it is," Miss Hottie says, and takes a moment to stare at my name tag, "Brittany," she says, irritation clear in her voice. She stares at me more, like she knows me but she can't place who I am and she's not sure she wants to.

"Be back in a couple of minutes," I say, reminding myself that this is my last table and I just need to smile, serve them and get the hell out of here. There's so much tension between me and Nick and I just know that I'm not the only one feeling it. It's that kind of emotional tension that you just want to cry out with a dash of sexual, where you just want to tear their clothes off and fuck the hell out of them.