66| Speak Your Truth To Me

Caught in the act. Is this what you call it?

The silence after Jimin had left became even more suffocating. Jungkook turned around and began to clean up the table, avoiding Seohyun's unsettling gaze while also hiding his own nervous expression. A man who had nothing to hide wouldn't react the way he did, and he knew his wife had realized that too.
He didn't want to think about what kind of thoughts might have crossed her mind when walking into the living room and seeing him hold Jimin in a way that was a little too intimate for 'casual friends'. Jungkook couldn't even remember the last time he'd picked her up like that.

"So," he began, clearing his throat, "How's Yuri?"

No answer.

"I haven't seen her in quite a while."

Again, nothing but silence.

The lack of response forced Jungkook to turn around. Seohyun continued to stare but it didn't seem like she was actually seeing him. She almost looked a little lost, as if she was having an internal conflict and trying to figure something out. Jungkook took a deep breath, his heart racing so fast he feared it'd stop.

Finally, she seemed to snap out of it. Seohyun blinked a few times before meeting his eyes again and opened her mouth to talk. However, no words came out. She ended up closing it again and took another breath to pull herself together. Jungkook waited anxiously.

"She's.. doing fine. As always."

He looked away, nodding as he tried to avoid eye contact. The younger had never felt this tense before, and he was about to say something else when Seohyun spoke up instead.

"Jimin feels very comfortable here. He visits more often than your best friends do."

She laughed a little but Jungkook immediately noticed the passive aggressiveness. However, he tried to play it off. "He's a celebrity, babe. Of course we can't hang out at normal clubs or bars. This is the safest option."

She just shrugged. "I guess."

There it was, that damn silence again. Seohyun had something to say but it was obvious she held back. And it made the whole situation even worse.

It was overwhelming. Exhausting. So Jungkook decided to do what he always seemed to excel at- running away from his problems.

"I.. have some work to do. If you need anything, I'm in my office-"

"Wait."

He was already on his way to the stairs when Seohyun's voice made him stop in his tracks. He didn't turn around this time- too scared of what he might see if he did. 

"Yuri told me you guys saw each other. A few days ago, at a jewelry store."

He closed his eyes, gulping.

"Jungkook, I want you to leave Seohyun and be with me instead."

When he opened them again, realization had hit him. His expression turned completely cold, and Jungkook knew. He knew.

It didn't even matter anymore.

"I don't remember," he uttered and went upstairs without another word, forgetting the havoc he had just left behind.

When Jimin arrived in his apartment, he wasn't too surprised to see Seokjin there. The older had a habit of randomly showing up instead of asking him to meet up beforehand, and he had stopped complaining a long time ago.