Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty
————————————
Hold Me Down

Maddox opened his office door to find a man in a suit standing there with a large white envelope in his hands.

"Maddox Maxwell?" He asked Maddox.

"Yes, that's me," Maddox answered.

"You've been served," He said as he handed Maddox a large envelope and turned quickly to leave.

"What the hell was that?" Rocco asked as he watched the man dash off to the elevator.

Maddox walked over to his desk and sat down. He opened the envelope.

"What is it? Whose suing you?" Rocco asked him.

"Divorce papers," Maddox deadpanned, without so much as looking up as Rocco gasped.

"She's divorcing you," Rocco said as he shook his head.

Rocco knew it would probably happen as Nettie said that Cardi had seriously thought about everything that had been going on. Maddox not having Cardi's back like he was supposed to during the Paris drama made Cardi feel some way, but Rocco didn't know she would leave him for real.

"Did you know about this? I know Nettie tells you everything," Maddox said.

Rocco shook his head no.

"No, Nettie told me how upset Cardi was with you, but I didn't know about this," Rocco said.

Maddox stared at the divorce papers. Cardi was giving up on their marriage. Maddox flipped through and saw that Cardi had already signed.

Cardi may have been ready to move on, but Maddox wasn't.

Cardi filed for divorce, saying their relationship was irretrievably broken.

Quiava walked into Maddox's office, and Maddox looked up at her.

"Did you know?" Maddox asked her.

Quiava looks at the divorce papers on his desk and frowns.

"She did it; I thought she was playing," Quiava replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Maddox asked her.

"Because I understand why she's doing it," She answered.

"Why is she doing it?" Maddox asked her.

"She was just tired of ... arguing with you and realized that it was best for you both to go your separate ways," Quiava explained.

"What does that mean?" Rocco asked.

"She got tired of not seeing things eye to eye. When you feel like it's just not the same anymore, the Paris drama did not help your case at all; I mean, Paris had your balls in her hands, and Cardi felt like you did not have her back and don't say you're the reason why she's not in prison because it was Zhan who found out about the other grimy shit Paris did that helped Cardi's case; your tape from 2008 was just a little evidence," Quiava said, looking at Maddox with a sad face.

"I did try to talk her out of it, but she made valid points. Everyone looked at you differently when the Paris thing was happening. It was like damn, what the hell does Paris have on Maddox that he can't stop her from attacking his wife repeatedly,"

Maddox sighed. He knew he fucked up bad.

"You made her question why am I holding him down when he can't even hold me down," Quiava said.

"Quiava," Rocco said, trying to get her to stop talking, but he knew Quiava was just upset about her friends' failed marriage.

"You know, sometimes people do grow apart. ... sometimes you're just tired of the arguments and the build-up. You get tired sometimes, and before something happens, you leave," Quiava said.

Quiava placed the files on his desk and then walked to the door but stopped.

"But Maddox, are you going to fight for her or give in?" Quiava asked him, hoping he answered correctly because if not, then he really would lose everything.

Maddox remained silent.

"Maddox," Rocco said, wanting his best friend to speak up and tell the answer that everyone wanted to hear from him.

"Idiot," Quiava said, leaving his office.

To Be Continued...