Chapter Two

Chapter Two
————————————
Smoke Gets in Your Lies

Once the butler, Jean had shown Cardi to her room in the adjacent wing close to the children's bedrooms, Cardi had time to freshen up and eat a little snack.

At 5 p.m. sharp, Cardi went downstairs to greet the three children, who arrived home from their evening activities.

"Oh, we have a new nanny," The oldest with black curly hair said as they entered the house.

"Hi, I'm Cardi," Cardi said, introducing herself.

"Mommy!" The youngest one exclaimed throwing herself against Cardi. Cardi quickly caught the little girl and let out a nervous laugh at being called mommy.

"I'm Samaria and don't worry she does that to everyone she meets," Samaria said.

"I'm MJ," MJ said.

"And this is Alanna," Samaria said, as she grabbed her from Cardi.

"No, I stay with mommy," Alanna said.

"Okay, nice to meet y'all. Are you guys hungry?" Cardi asked.

"Dinner is at six, but I've prepared snacks for the children," Jean said entering the room and setting a tray on the living room table.

"Thank you, Jean," Samaria said as she walked over and popped a grape into her mouth.

"You're welcome, Samaria," Jean said, walking away.

"Okay, Do you guys have homework to do?" Cardi asked.

"I have a history project," MJ answered.

"I love history," Cardi said.

"Great, so you'll help me," MJ said.

"Yes, I'll help you but I won't do it for you," Cardi said.

"Damn," MJ said.

————

A forceful knock on his office's door made Maddox jerk out of his thoughts. Thoughts that had been focused on dreadful new investments for his company.

Before he was able to tell the person to come in, the door sprang open and Cardi strutted in.

"Hello, Maddox," Cardi said as she hopped upon the corner of Maddox's large desk with her legs crossed.

"Just wanted to let you know that the kids have finished their homework and are now having dinner. You should probably join them. You haven't been out of your office all day." Cardi said.

"I'm busy," Maddox said.

"You can never be too busy for your kids," Cardi said.

"Look, Cardi, Just do your job as their nanny, not mine," Maddox said.

"Look I'm just saying come out and spend maybe an hour or so with your kids who have been asking about you since they got home," Cardi said.

"Cardi, I'm warning you. Focus on the children and not on me." Maddox said.

"Whatever," Cardi said as she hopped off the desk and walked out of the office. The door slammed shut with an audible bang.

Once Cardi had left the room. Maddox leaned back in his chair with a soft creak and massaged the bridge of his nose.

The intercom on Maddox's landline phone came to life with a soft crackle and a blink.

"Your brother, Brock on line two, Maddox," Jean said.

He reached out, grabbed the receiver, and pressed the blinking button to take the call.

"Brock," Maddox said.

"Hello, Maddox, so I heard you got a new nanny and I was wondering if you mind me borrowing her for a day or two," Brock said.

"Let me guess, Amanda found out you slept with the nanny," Maddox said.

"More like the nanny slept with Amanda," Brock said.

"What? No way. Go, Amanda." Maddox said, chuckling.

"I cheated once, and she gets her payback by sleeping with the nanny," Brock said.

"Once? Really? Okay, Brock but the answer is no." Maddox said.

"Why not?" Brock asked.

"Cause unlike you two. I have three children who need constant attention so go get a nanny for yourself," Maddox answered.

"Hey, my kid needs constant attention too," Brock said.

"That's why he has you and his mother. Goodbye, Brock," Maddox said.

"You're a terrible brother," Brock said.

"Love you too," Maddox said, ending the call.

————

When Maddox ran into Cardi in the kitchen two hours later, he had just finished a workout in his home gym.

Cardi's eyebrows rose as she spotted him in his sleeveless shirt and track shorts, and Maddox slung the towel around his neck.

He cleared his throat. "Why are you up at this time?" Maddox asked.

His stern question steered Cardi's eyes back to his face.

"It's only eleven at night," Cardi answered, rolling her eyes. "By the way, your dinner is in the oven. Goodnight, Maddox," Cardi said as she put her cup in the sink and walked out of the kitchen.

Maddox couldn't help but watch Cardi's backside as she walked away.

"Can't fuck the nanny," He muttered to himself.