Chapter Six-Jail Bird

My head was spinning as if I was on a merry-go-round. I tried to calm myself down and keep my thoughts away, but I couldn't. I couldn't grasp the concept that I was a murderer. I killed people. And for what? To keep myself alive? To keep myself from getting beat? Why did any of that matter? I was always going to get beat by Mom and Austin. Always.

"Hope! Get down here!", I heard Mom yell at me.

I let out a deep breath and walked into the living room, forcing the thoughts of today away. But it didn't help. I was a murderer plain and simple.

"What?"

"Is that how you talk to your mother?", she asked.

"How else am I supposed to talk to you? With my ears?"

I saw the slap coming before it struck me in the face.

"You do not talk to your Mother like that. If you can't behave or talk right, you will not have a voice to talk with. Understand?", Austin threatened me.

I was silent.

"Understand?"

"Understood.", I spoke up.

"Good. I want you to take this bag to Starbucks the same guy you met earlier will be picking it up. I don't have to remind you not screw this up, right?"

"Right."

"Good. Now get a move on."

I shoved the small bag into my pocket and began my short journey to Starbucks. I was approaching the guy, when two cop cars suddenly surrounded me.
Isn't my life just perfect today?

"Hope, what are you doing?", Mrs. Martin asked

"Getting some coffee. Why else would I be at Starbucks?"

"Metting that guy over there.", she said, pointing at the old guy.

"I don't know him."

"Then why did you approach him?"

"I wanted to know the time, can't break curfew again.", I said nervously. I was so screwed.

"The time?"

"Yep."

"I think it's time for you to start being honest here. Why are you here?"

"I already told you why."

She stared at me for a moment then she suddenly grabbed my pockets and emptied them, revealing the small bag.

"Do you want to tell me why you're really here now?"

"I already told you.", I repeated.

"Then why do you have drugs on you? That guy over there is a very well known drug dealer, did you know that?"

I was silent.

"Did Austin make you do this, Hope? I can help you but you have to tell me the truth."

"I trusted you.", I confessed, "You told me if I told you everything, you would protect me. You promised me that Austin and Mom would live the rest of their lives in prison. You said I didn't have to worry about anything and I would be safe. And what do you do the very next day? You send me right back to them, so I have nothing else to say to you."

"Hope-"

"I told you I have else to say so either let me go or arrest me."

"Alright have it your way. Put your hands behind your back."

Mom and Austin are just going to love this.

I was charged with possession and put into a small cell with another girl. Thankfully the next day was court day. The judge said since it was a small amount and this was my first offense, I would pay a fine of a thousand dollars along with being on probation. After a few hours, I was finally released. I didn't want to go home, but I found myself entering the house anyways and I instantly regretted my choice, when Austin jostled me againist the wall.

"What is wrong with you? Are you trying to set us up?"

"No."

"You're useless. If you mess one more thing up or do something as stupid as coming home late, you will get the worst beating of your life!", Auston exploded.

Mom and Austin hated cops, so I knew what I had to do.

"I think we were the ones being set up.", I announced.

"What are you talking about?", Austin asked, backing away from me.
I let out a breath of relief.

"Mrs. Martin was the one who arrested me maybe she has been watching us or something."

"I see.", Mom said, taking a sudden interest in me before sending me to my room. On my way there, I saw it. I looked around, making sure Mom or Austin couldn't see me then I ran into their bedroom. I grabbed it and made a run for my room. I held my phone in my hand as I let out a sigh of relief. My body slid down onto the floor. I closed my eyes, allowing  my thoughts to take over me.