Revelations

Dane attempted to get into your room no less than three times, tried to fight Trudgen, which was when you intervened, yelling at him to go back to his room before you helped Trudgen kick his ass. You'd peeled yourself out of your own dress rather disappointed, the darkest part of you hoping that your fantasy would come true, that Kylo would be there in your room waiting for you. You sighed with disgust at yourself, burying your face in your hands, rubbing at your eyes until lights danced in the darkness behind them. Tonight was bound to be another sleepless night, what with your utter failure to secure Dane's safety. Would you ever have the strength to do it, to cut all ties? You sat up, pulling the covers off of you, suddenly stifling. Perhaps you just needed to walk, to run, to fight... something to clear all of the maddening thoughts ricocheting around your brain. 

You glanced over at the door, to where Trudgen was standing guard, feeling doubtful that he would allow you any amount of slack in the leash Kylo Ren had trusted him to hold. That left your secret panel, and a silent prayer that Trudgen did not make it a point to actually lay eyes on you through the night. You slipped into a pair of black leggings and a jacket, braiding your hair back out of your face. You climbed out of the panel and onto the smooth floors of the hallway, sliding it back soundlessly until there was a sliver just small enough for you to hook a finger around. The hallways were empty as you roamed, no clear destination in mind, just putting one foot in front of the other to avoid succumbing to the whirlpool in your head that was threatening to drown you. You passed endless doorways, some shut and locked, some open archways leading into further hallways or meeting rooms with empty, gleaming tables. Ahead, your ears perked to hear echoing whispers off the walls, the harsh tones of an argument. You crept forward, flattening yourself against a wall, peering slowly around the corner ahead. The hallway did not continue, you noted, but rather you found yourself at the top of a landing, looking out over a large room you'd never seen before, the shadows of two figures rising high against the back wall. You stayed back, avoiding detection from the occupants below, their hushed retorts finally in your earshot as you stilled, listening.

"You did not pull it off in full, we will not be paying in full. This is my final word." You could not make out who the voice belonged to, but heard the click of heeled shoes stalk off just beneath you. You were frozen for a moment, then chanced a glance over the balcony, peering down at the broad back of a tall man, dark hair pulled back into a ponytail down the nape of his neck.

"I won't forget this insult." He called as footsteps faded into silence. His voice was vaguely familiar now at full volume, though a thorough racking of your brain came up empty. You ducked down as the man turned, trying to keep your eyes above the railing while still keeping out of sight. You clapped your hand over your mouth as his face came into view; his was not one you'd readily forget: the notorious bounty hunter Rhysio Daivik was walking free right under your nose, right under the entire Senate's nose, some of whom were here in the same vicinity. Was he here to finish the job? How did he get on without detection?

"You!" You had stood to attention and growled the word before you could think, before you remembered that you had no backup, no weapon besides the small knife you always kept strapped to your thigh. Daivik's piercing blue eyes shot up to you, his surprise fading easily into a cocky grin.

"Me," He held out his arms like he was presenting himself for an award, his teeth glinting white in the dim starlight, pouring in from large paneled windows on either side of the room. "And who might you be?" You looked down, assessing the distance between the top of the landing and the floor, deciding it was well worth the risk of a broken ankle to catch this murderer. You hopped over the balcony railing and landed with a sharp shock of pain up each of your legs, but bones intact nonetheless.

"I can't wait to see the reward I get when I tell the Senate you're here. I'll bet you thought you were so inconspicuous, sneaking on here, ready to finish what you started back on Hosnian Prime." He eyed you with interest, not moving for a weapon, his calm, almost lazy demeanor foolishly making you out to be quite harmless.