Grief

Two Days Later

Peter's POV

Today, I decide to attend school. I prefer it than staying at home and watching my Aunt break down and being overwhelmed by the police surrounding my street. They said that I should take some time off to mourn. Mourn they said.  It doesn't even look like they are trying to find his killer. Instead, they are staying at the crime scene surrounded by news reporters. Although, even at school it feels no different with everyone talking about you all the time. Everyone knows and I can't help but pick up on the smallest comments of students and teachers. As I head to my first class, Y/N stops me and gives me a hug. "I am so sorry," she whispers but I push her away.

"Don't be sorry for anything."

"Well if you need anything just give me a call alright?"

I open my locker when I sense Flash walking up to me, before thinking I grab him and slam him against the lockers. My strength prevents him from getting out of my grasp, and I look him straight in his eyes as he apologizes.

"Dude, whoa! Sorry, I swear I wasn't going to do anything to piss you off dude."

I let go of him and turn away, ignoring the crowd staring at me, "I'm sorry man

I let go of him and turn away, ignoring the crowd staring at me, "I'm sorry man..." I tell him, "It's just, he shot him right in front of me. I watched him die and I couldn't do anything..." He looks to the ground and I walk away before I see my old counselor walking towards me, telling me to follow her. I sit down in her office in silence when she speaks. "Grief."

I don't make eye contact but she continues, "It is a powerful emotion and you are probably going through it. It can make you do and feel awful things like guilt, but I need you to know that what happened wasn't your fault Peter. You couldn't have possibly stopped that from happening or even have known it was going to happen."

I can't take this, I need to get out of here. I stand up to leave and I rush to the door as she states, "If you need to talk to anyone, we are all here for you."

I find my seat in the classroom and look at the blackboard, pure nonsense. I thought that my grades couldn't have possibly gotten any lower, but boy was I wrong. I feel nothing but numbness, and at this rate, I might not pass this year. I haven't been able to eat, sleep, or think for a while. I don't know how my Aunt is going to cope like this any longer, but I do know that things are about to get a whole lot worse. I need to find who is responsible for his death and I will not rest until I find them.

*******

I make my way home, knowing that his funeral is today I reach my front lawn and see my skateboard. I grab it and raise my arms to throw it against the fence when I hesitate. There is no point, I would never be able to afford another one anyway. I head inside to see my Aunt who is asleep on the couch so I head upstairs into my room. Looking through my bag, I find my schoolwork and rip them all one by one. Sobbing, I glance into my closet before I spot something. My suit. The best thing that has happened in my life in a very long time. I put it on, grab the mask and place it on the ground in front of me as I stare at it.

I put it on my face and look in the mirror, realizing that I have everything I could possibly need to catch this guy. I take a pen and write down everything I remember about his appearance.

- Blonde hair sticking from his black beanie

- Black mask

- Thin lips

- Small nose

- Scar under his eyebrow

- White converse

- Green eyes

-Chipped tooth

-Tall

I open my laptop and start searching for criminal records. I start off by looking for any robbers that have been caught nearby, to people with guns. I find a bunch from a few months back, but none have everything in common with this man.

I hear a knock at the door, "Peter," my Aunt says softly, "We have to go soon."

"Alright."

For the funeral, I put on a black suit, and she drives us there. We see a few people I don't recognize here as well as some of his friends and Y/N. After a few speeches, food, and hugs, we stay back after they all leave. I glance at my Aunt, "This is all my fault, I'm so sorry."

"No Peter, don't blame this on yourself!"

"No really, he never would have been there if I didn't storm off. He followed me."

"Honey, you were upset, it was a mistake."

Yeah... a small mistake.

 a small mistake