Home

Third POV

This is the longest time Peter has been asleep in a while, it's midnight and you have been sleeping beside him. That is until the sound of his screams wakes you up. He's having another nightmare and you watch as he trembles but doesn't wake up so you try to. "Hey, hey wake up Peter." You shake him until he gasps and opens his eyes, sitting upright, "Y/N? What-"

"Shh, it's okay it was only a nightmare. I'm right here, I promise."

He catches his breath and places his hand on his chest, his heart beating fast. As you grasp his hand, you put it on your chest, "Listen to my heartbeat instead, it's calming."

********************

7 am

"So are we going to ditch school today too?" You ask as you gaze out of the window.

"Did you forget that you're leaving the state?"

"Right."

"What are we going to do?"

"I should probably say goodbye to Gwen, Peter and the others..."

"Does your dad know Peter is the other Spiderman?"

"I didn't- he- no, he doesn't."

Pete scoffs and you decide to ignore it, heading out the front door to meet up with your friends at the park. 

Everyone is in a state of shock after explaining what happened. You explained the venom in Pete's body, how your dad won't let you stay, and how there is no hope. Gwen suggests getting help and answers from your dad but you know he wouldn't want to help him. MJ sighs and asks if anyone is feeling the same way Pete is. Everyone shakes their heads. Ned asks, "Maybe it's because he's Spider-man too? Oh wait never mind, then the other Peter would have gotten it too."

"Damn, why do you both have to have the same name?" MJ tries to lighten the mood.

"That's why I call him Pete- wait a minute! How does Ned know about you guys?" You ask.

"They deserved to know! They are my best friends and I won't tell anyone else I swear, it's just us," Peter assures you.  Suddenly, your father appears, and you quickly stand up, ready to ask him why he is here, but he interrupts you. He says you need to pack your things and that he is here for Peter (Tom), " Wheeler, I was looking for someone young to help me at Stark Tower, and you were the first person I thought of."

Peter blinks, not believing his words, "To-tower-work, me? "

"Yes, you. I mean unless you are too busy saving the world all by yourself."

"What?" Peter is shocked, does he know he is Spider-Guy?

Stark chuckles, "You aren't the other Spider-Man, right?"

"Why would you think that?"

"I'm kidding! Why are you so on edge?" He helps him off of the ground and they eagerly walk away.  You notice how he did not even make eye contact with Pete and you can't imagine what he must feel right now. You know he needs you but there is nothing that you can do that would change your dad's mind about staying. Pete looks to you like he wants to say something but he says nothing. 

The next hour is awkward for everyone and you all eat your lunch, counting down the hours before you leave for good. Your phone rings and your dad firmly says, "Peter agreed to take you home so I can make sure you are safe. He's waiting for you at home, we have your things packed."

You roll your eyes, hanging up, "It's not even my home anymore."

Pete overheard your father's words on the phone and he snaps,"Wow, ok. So Peter just gets to step into your life and effortlessly gets your father's approval? He's just so perfect isn't he?"

"That's not fair."

"You want to be fair, huh? Go on, tell your dad that he is also Spider-Man."

"I understand my dad assumed the worst of you because of some stupid suit and mask, but that doesn't mean it has to be the same for Peter. At least he has a chance to show my dad how he has good intentions." You know that if Peter can show your dad what a nice person he truly is, then he can expose himself, then hopefully he can realise the mistake he made with Pete, "Just trust me."

"You know what? He is better for you anyway, I mean look at me I'm a mess! And he doesn't even need to try."

"This isn't a competition about who is better, you shouldn't let my dad's opinion define you. That is why I think we should keep Peter's secret untold.  And yes, it's best if he's the one who takes me home."

"Wow..."

"What?"

"You said that doesn't feel like home anymore, and that this is your home. Those were your words, Y/N, your words."

"You know I have no choice and you know it! I can't stay here, if my dad won't take me in then where am I supposed to go? At least back there I have my Aunt, there's nothing here for me."

"I'm here, doesn't that count for something?"

"You have your own problems to deal with, we are both making things worse for each other-

"Don't say that, we can work things out, just stay with me. I need you with me."

"You don't need me, I'm just a distraction for you, Pete. I don't know how to help you but you are going to figure it out without me alright? Then maybe you can focus on being a better person."

"I knew it." He sighs and turns to walk away but I pull him back. Gwen tries to comfort him and MJ and Ned just stand there looking concerned. You hurt him. You didn't mean to hurt him. 

Your POV

I realise what I have just said, I just made him feel worse about himself. Stupid, stupid, Y/N! Why do I have to say the wrong things at the wrong times? He lets go of my hand and Gwen tells me to give him space as he walks off. I shake my head and chase after him. God, he is fast. 

I turn right behind the store at the end of the road and he is gone. Shit. I head back and MJ says, "I'm sure he will come around. And it's for the better don't you think, now it's easier for him to let you go. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but you can't hold back the truth."

My phone buzzes and I get a text from Peter telling me that my dad said to hurry up.  I hug my friends goodbye and head to the train station where Peter awaits me, packing all of my bags. He flashes me a smile but I can tell it was forced. I've formed a good relationship with him too, he obviously is upset that I'm leaving. I mean I have my friends from home that I've grown up with... but I'd choose Pete over all of them.

As the train takes off, I slowly feel my happiness fading with each tree that we pass. What am I doing? Am I out of my mind? Of course, I should want to go back to my old life where I was at least safe. But what's life without a bit of danger? A bit of fear, adrenaline, confusion, fighting. My old home... that isn't living. I can't go back. 

"Second thoughts?" Peter smirks.

"You read my mind. This train needs to stop- like right now!"

"Ok, Y/N. Let me just ask the driver to pull over. For god's sake, we can't just go back with all these passengers on board anyway."

"You're Spiderman, you can do anything."

"Well, technically I'm the other one but I think I have an idea."