Daddy Issues

We are being watched by someone, Peter was right.

He freezes as my dad moves towards us fast, looking like he's about to burst. God knows what he will do to him, so I whisper, "Go, I'll deal with him and when he's calm I will call you."

"I'm not leaving you."

"It's alright, he's my dad. He would never hurt me."

He grabs his bag with his webs and mouths, "I'm sorry, I love you."

I face my dad and prepare for his speech, as I follow him back home "Look, Dad-"

"This whole time?" He shouts.

"You don't understand, you've got this bad idea of him in your head when he isn't really like that. He risks his life protecting this town and protecting me!"

"Why would you keep this a secret from me? I can't believe this has been happening right in front of me and I never noticed. I expected more from you."

"My life has been shit until I met him!"

"Oh really, then if he's so special, where was he when you went missing?"

"It's not his fault this town is filled with criminals."

"You're right."

"What?"

"This town is no place for a teenage girl, bringing you here was a bad idea. Pack your things, you'll leave tomorrow."

"You're not serious."

"As long as you see Peter Parker, you will always be in danger. The closer you guys become, the harder it will be to forget each other. So I'm ending it right now."

"But I've made friends and finally learnt how to live my life without mom! There's nothing waiting for me back there, that house did nothing but remind me every day of what happened to Mom."

 "You're aunt loves you and she does a way better job of dealing with you."

"It was pretty easy for you to leave and focus on the Avengers when you forgot to focus on me!"

"Your mom's death broke my heart and it changed me. I couldn't let you see me like that so I moved as far away as I could. Her sister did a great job raising you and I knew I could never have done that. I'm sorry that I wasn't there when you needed me, I just got so caught up in this career and the fame, that I thought you wouldn't want this life. That you would want a normal life and I was right. You being here has caused so many problems."

I'm numb. I have nothing to say to that. I know that I should be angry or upset but I'm just so tired of feeling. I've had enough. "Please, Dad... don't leave me again."

"I'm sorry."

His phone starts to ring which is no surprise. "I need to go to the Avengers tower, let's go."

"I'm not going. I wouldn't want to spend my last night here in some business meeting, I'm going to Gwen's house."

"You better not be lying."

"We planned a sleepover."

****************

I storm out and head straight to Pete's, being introduced by his Aunt.  She tells me he's in the shower and then goes on about how he's not acting like himself, "Well, he hasn't quite been himself since his uncle passed," she continues.

"How have you been coping?"

"I'm fine, sure I miss him. But it's my nephew I'm more worried about. But I'm sure you will look out for him, you are a sweet young girl."