Chapter's Thirty-One: Changing History

I crept along the ground to a tree with massive roots. Using my large paws, I dug a hole under the tree.

The roots combined with the hole made a hidden cavern in the dirt. I curled up inside, and fell into a fitful sleep.

************

A slow thumping tread followed me, as I walked down the hallway. I squealed when I was scooped up off the floor into a pair of strong arms.

Blake laughed and kissed my forehead. I grinned, closed my eyes, and wrapped my arms around his neck before kissing his lips.

I opened my eyes and pulled back in surprise. Blake's eyes were black and glazed over.

"Blake?" I waved a hand in front of his face but there was no response.

Suddenly he began to carry me out the front door. It was dark outside but there was no mistaking the orange flames that licked the sky. The was a giant fire in the front yard, and Blake was carrying me straight towards it.

I called his name multiple times, but his eyes were stilled glazed as he carried me on. Panicking, I shoved against his chest but his grip on me never loosened.

I screamed when my mate walked right up to the fire and tossed me into the flames.

************

I sat up fast, breathing very heavily. Fur still covered my body, as my wolf still wasn't settled enough to shift back. I shook my wolf head roughly, in an attempt to erase the dream from my mind.

It was the afternoon, and the light shone through the entrance to my den. I climbed out of the hole, and saw that I was very close to the lake where Blake and I first kissed.

Not wanting anyone to find my hiding place, I dragged a thorn bush with my teeth to block the entrance. I needed to talk to someone, and decided to mind link Jinx.

JJ?

Raven, what happened? Blake said you ran away again, her voice was worried. My wolf growled at the lie our mate told.

It's a little more complicated than that, I need to talk to you.

Tell me and I'm there, you know that.

Do you know where the lake is?

I think so, I'll be there in a few. I cut off the link and layed down, my head resting on my paws. The edge of the lake was a few feet away, and I watched the colorful fish leap out of the water to eat bugs. I realized my fur was coated in a thick layer of dried blood.

The side of my neck suddenly began to grow very warm. I shook, but my mark had begun to burn again. The growl my wolf let out shook the ground with its intensity.

I leaped into the water, trying to cool off the horrible fire on my neck, cleaning my fur in the process. The temporarily, bloodstained water was fairly cold, but it did nothing to help the pain of a cheating mate.

I decided to shift into a brand new wolf, knowing that the pain would be similar to my very first shift. I was hoping the pain would distract me from Blake.