Chapter Two: Betrayed

I wake up to the sound of footsteps. My first instinct is to stand and fight, but then after realizing there are probably a dozen men making that noise, I quickly snap out of my sleepiness and run, not wanting to fight in such a bad area.

I don't look behind me but I know that if I slow down anymore, they will quickly catch up to me. I sprint as fast as I can, barely avoiding trees and fallen logs. I dare to take a peek behind me, and see about fifteen men glaring furiously at me.

As I turn back around, my foot catches on an upturned tree root, and I fly forward. I tuck my body quickly into a ball and complete a somersault to avoid face planting. But by the time I stand back up, the men have surrounded me.

Shit, I mentally curse. A few are familiar, including the one who steps forward, I assume he is the leader.

"Well, look what we have here . . . The almighty Raven. Not so tough now are you," he sneers, his face coated in hate and disgust.

"What makes you think I can't get out of this?" I shoot back at Isaac.

"Let's see, there are fifteen of us, one of you, and you are a girl." He tries to intimidate me but is failing miserably. I have survived situations with much worse odds.

Leaping forward he tries to get his hands around my neck but I already have my silver dagger plunged into his heart. At first, everyone just stands there shocked, but then quickly recover and leap at me all at once.

Putting my dagger away, my gold whip flashes out. Uncoiled, it is ten feet long, and has a razor sharp, barbed end. In a flash of red and gold, nine men collapse to the ground clutching their bleeding throats.

The five remaining men stand, rooted to their spots. I realize that a few of the dying men carried backpacks, I walk over to one of them and pull out some rope, threatening the still living ones with my bow, an arrow ready to fly.

Using the rope from several backpacks, I manage to tie up the five men to separate trees, their hands suspended above their heads.

"Now, time to answer some questions . . ." I have all my weapons away, but drag my whip along the ground, my favorite torture tool.

"Why would the elders allow such a mission?" I ask, rather bored. The elders were the only people I ever listened to because they have controlled my entire life since I was little.

"They sent us on it." A man, I figured out his name was Dave, replies.

"You really expect me to believe that?" I lift my whip in a threatening manner.

"I can prove it!" He says quickly, shrinking away from the whip. This catches my attention.

"Oh really? How?" I smirk, actually curious but skeptical.

He gestures his head towards his front pant pocket. I walk over to him and pull out a note. It reads:

Isaac,
Raven has become dangerous, we believe she is hiding something that is a threat to us. Take a group of several hunters and bring her back alive. We need to figure out what she is hiding before its too late.

At the base of the note is a small pentagram. I feel my anger level rising, I recognize it as a symbol only the Elders have the power to create. In a fury, I shred the paper to pieces before turning back to the restrained hunters around me.

"What do they think I am hiding?" I demand gritting my teeth.

"They think, you-uh . . . are-um, part . . . " He trails off.

"What! They think I am part what!" I scream, my rage taking over.

"Werewolf." I back away shaking, no longer able to control my anger.

Then a thought crosses my mind, and I grin evilly.

"They were right."