Chapter 44

Demyan

How does betrayal feel? I had never thought I would ever have the taste for it. Never thought I would be the one on the receiving end. How could I have when I had made sure that no one could stand in front of me?

I was always on the top of the food chain ever since I started climbing my way back to where I should have always been. I was the predator and Valencia was my prey. However, the situation was no longer the same but I was at least glad that they weren't reversed.

I had thought that maybe Viktor was my only enemy but I don't feel like the same now. Zach had tried to warn Valencia about the plans I had held for though they weren't the same any longer but he had done it when I was still acting on my plan. I could no longer read Valencia. She was someone I had no idea about any longer.

It was as if she was there but she wasn't. There was nothing fishy about her. I was the one who was once again at fault. I was trying to find the woman who hadn't been abused and broken. She still did have her anger but there was something in those eyes. It was the way she looked at me. It was no longer the same as she did years back. She was no longer the Valencia that loved Demyan.

But who would have after knowing the fact that your lover wanted to kill you himself?

"Valencia is roaming inside the house with Natalia, was it something that you ordered Natalia to do?" Zach's voice interrupted my thoughts. My office was open right now and he strolled in like it was his.

I had still hadn't talked with him about what Valencia had said. However, I knew well that he wasn't going to admit that he had done the same. Asking him and trying to get it out of him would be like flogging a dead horse, worthless.

"I don't give my sister any orders, Zach," I swiveled in my chair facing him as he stood in front of me. "And we both know that Natalia does whatever she likes. Just like the way she decided to be with you and marry you. Moreover, we aren't on talking terms right now," I was really not going to butt in whatever she was doing. Our conversation from last evening was still fresh and we both were playing the blame game on each other. Valencia was surely a sore topic for both of us right now.

"That shit was different," I raised an eyebrow at his word.

"Want to repeat those words for me, Zach. I surely wouldn't mind telling Natalia that those things meant nothing but shit to you." He was under suspicion and his actions weren't actually helping to get him off the grid right now. Moreover, whatever I did she would have ended up marrying Zach even then. At least she doesn't know the deal I had made. It was something we all were going to keep silent about for everyone's sanity.

"I didn't mean it like that," I could see the worry in his eyes. The expression of sudden panic took over him. "We have no idea how Valencia is like right now. What she had gone through? How she is? Had she been brainwashed or not? We don't know anything about her right now but just that she was taken by Viktor and was suddenly released don't tell me you don't find it suspicious," he added.

He had left the topic of how she had accused him last night untouched.

"We would have to go blind on this one, Zach. It is a shock for both of us but we all know that Valencia was the innocent party in all of this." I was taking Valencia's side because she had nothing against any one of us back then and she wasn't that strong enough to retaliate back then.

Moreover, Viktor was the one who took her. I think maybe it wouldn't; have even come to killing her because my uncle would have surely intervened when I would have brought her here back to Russia. He was the one who had been the one to reach out to me when he had come to know about my intentions after coming back to Russia.

"So you are really going to do let her be," I could ss

"So, you are really going to do let her be," I could see that he was pissed. "We need to keep an eye on her," he added.

"There are eyes on her everywhere here, Zach. She is in the lion's den." She was in a room that was in constant surveillance. I had been the one who was keeping an eye on every moment and the thought of her being a spy had crossed my mind but I had found nothing to hint at that. Though she was like a lost being.

Did it matter that I wanted to know her every thought? It had not been twenty-four hours since she came up in the house and I was already obsessed with her.

"If that is all for you to say Zach I think I had given you the work to find where Viktor was. I don't think with the pace that is going that I would be going to get any results from you at all." He was lacking in what I needed the most right now.

"I'm working my best but it has been hard to track him down," he replied instantly. Was it something he knew and didn't want to tell?

"Moreover, I have decided that until we found Viktor we are not going to hold a ceremony for you're and Sophia's wedding." I just stared at him as he spoke those words. Though after last night with Valencia being back my feelings were all over the place.

"Did your father agree to it?" Zach said this was a different thing but his father agreeing to it would have been the most difficult thing.

"I will make him agree. I can't have our lives threatened with Viktor once again at your wedding ceremony." The more I looked at him I realized that his words didn't match his expressions. There was no concern over his face. I could read people with the back of my hand.

"We could have a small ceremony." There was no denying in the fact that ever since Valencia had said things that went against him a seed of doubt has been formed in my mind.

"Yes, but what use would a small ceremony be when we could have a big one. Everyone needs to know that you are married to my sister and she needs to have her once-in-a-lifetime experience to be grand. A small ceremony wouldn't be much of a use," I just stared at him as he spoke. Was this the same man who was persistent about us getting married two years back however it be?

"Well, I will go with whatever your father decides," there was nothing else I could say. It would surely give me time for the clarity of my thoughts too.

"I have some work to do. I hope you can go and work with Aston to find out about Viktor's whereabouts soon," I just dismissed him and started clicking the buttons on my computer. I had no desire to talk to him right now when my mind was going through multiple things. He left my room without saying anything else.

There were so many things that needed to be sorted out. Whatever I tried to do my thoughts went back wandering back to Valencia.

Pulling up the surveillance of the house I saw that she was with Natalia meeting the time I had assigned for finding the whereabouts of my child. I had no issue with her talking to them. The less suspicious I was becoming of her the more suspicious I was becoming of Zach.

The pinging of an unknown email diverted my attention. My email was not something that anyone unknown could send a mail into.

I opened it with my own thoughts running wild. I wasn't worried about a virus but questions were running everywhere.

What are you going to do about the people who are making a fool out of you?

Want to know about everyone's reality?

Meet me at the square tomorrow night.

Come alone – Cill

Attached to it was a photo of Valencia and Viktor in a compromising position that had my blood boiling. I was raged at what I was seeing.

Calling for one of my guards angrily I stared at the photo that made me want to put bullets in someone's head.

"Get me Valencia here right now," I seethed out.

All I could see was his smile and it made me want to kill.

Only kill.

Writer's NoteWho do you think is this person is trying to contact Demyan? What is going to happen next? Zach is doing something ? Is Vaelncia's life in danger and what is going to happen next?