Chapter 61

Valencia

I looked at all the photos I had laid down on my bed. Each one of them had been carefully placed from old ones to new ones. Standing there I just stared at all of them with a burning cigarette in my hands.

In the phase of chaos, it was better to stand still in a place and think. Cigarettes and the smell of nicotine always helped me when I was caught in my own mind. Right now I needed a picture of clarity. I needed to process whatever that has been ever told me and choose sides according to Cillian.

Which was even the right one? It felt like fucking Hobson's choice.

I looked at the letter that I had read numerous times. It talked about the purest love and cheesy lines. A princess who had fallen in love with a potter. The more I read it the more and more I hated Viktor. He was loved. The asshole was still fucking loved by a woman to whom he had lost his virginity at seventeen in a fucking barn on a cold winter night with fire as the only companion besides Sophia. I could see why he had kept that letter. It was a precious memory of that night that I even I could see how Sophia had described on a piece of paper for him.

Sophia and Viktor once had a daughter for sure. Where she was no one knew and if people did then she was best kept secret no one knew about. There was a small girl in some place who was as old as my child and Viktor was playing the role of papa for him or her but who was the fucking mama.

My good guess was Sophia but how could they have been visiting? How could they have been going to come to a place together without anyone knowing? I could think of Viktor being able to pull that off easily but Sophia was engaged to Demyan for half the time and with a lot many people guarding her. Could she have fooled them all somehow? Was she as good as me at manipulating and fooling people? Could it have been that she had been hiding her true self from everyone? How good she was at this game? Had her hands dripped in blood or were they pristine clean?

Taking a drag of the cigarette, I exhaled the smoke watching it dismiss.

Who she really was, was only known to one person and he himself was a number one manipulator. He had manipulated me too. I won't deny his sad story he spoke the truth but there was always a power of words and emotions that drove a person to believe in the worst. At eighteen he had come back to the States and in his early teens, he had begged Demyan for help only to be denied. He just added a bit of story of it to make him look pitiful enough to make a fool out of me. He had taught me how to play with emotions while he had been playing with mine all along.

They had a beautiful daughter that was for sure but where she was now. I needed the answer to this question as much as I needed to breathe to survive. What made Viktor fall out of place and reach Ivan? Yet what made him kill the man who had given him everything aka my biological father? Why did he need me? Why was I needed to be here? It couldn't have been for revenge on Demyan and Natalia. He could have done that without me.

Zach had married Natalia, they had a kid. He could have got his revenge by killing the child or torturing Natalia through Zach. Demyan and Viktor could have killed each other but yet they didn't. If all Viktor wanted was revenge he could have done that easily but I didn't fit into any of the equations.

Neither on this side nor on that. I felt more like a fucking side character in a story.

I needed the depth of knowledge of someone who had been wise and old enough to know everything. Someone who had been here since the beginning and that too before Viktor strikes. I was sure that it would be soon enough with the stunts I had pulled today on Saint Sophia.