Magic and Witches...

Chapter 6 (Amelie)

I knew she would return, some day. She is not the frightened little twelve year old girl that I rescued from a fire 6 years ago anymore, she is nervous yes but she's different somehow....I can't put my finger on it. Alyssa has long waist length hair which hasn't been cut for years (she did not wish to cut it in memory of her mother) and she always plaits it in two. Her light brown eyes are always full of curiosity, never fear...well not complete fear anyway. She is quite tall, taller than me. She is slighter than her brother Shane was but she has the same height as he did.

When her real family left town I made Ada plant in their brains that Alyssa had been killed in the fire, everyone else believed it as well...this was good, it kept her safe. I sent her far away, to New York. I dropped in on her occasionally to ensure that she was ok and informed her adoptive parents that she would have to return to Morganville when she was of age, being 18 of course.

I lead her down the corridors, Alayna to my left. My daughter is not too happy, to say the least, that I have been watching over her. She wants to know why I won't change her. My answer is always the same.
"As a human she can do things that others can't, if I changed her she would lose her power. Don't get me wrong I will change her in a few years, she will be in danger in a few years and as a human she wouldn't be able to protect herself. But at this moment in time I require her as a human."

Alayna leaves my side and skulks away into the shadows.
"Don't mind my daughter, she is just skulking. In a mood with me I expect."
"Your daughter? Oh you mean that girl, Alayna?"
"Yes. She means well and won't harm you, she can just get really uptight about some things. Shall we?" I gesture for her to enter my study.
"Wow, neat and tidy just the way I like things." I smile slightly at this but as I turn back to face her I make my face seem like an emotionless mask.

"Please take a seat." I say kindly to Alyssa and ensure that she is seated before I take my place behind my desk. I pull two large cream envelopes towards me, one addressed to Alyssa and the other for Eve. I hand them over and she opens her own. It contains a box with a bracelet inside it. The symbol is that of mine and Alayna's.
"I would like you to tie yourself to me and Alayna. By doing that no vampire will be able to hurt you including Alayna. I have a very important job for you, I will tell you when the time is right." To my relief she allows me to fix the bracelet around her wrist and she signs the paperwork for Protection.
"You now have not only one Protector but two. You are one of ten that have been selected, you should wear it with pride. Eve is being offered the same if you're wondering, I will pay a visit to her tonight. I will also like Eve to move back to the Glass House, I can protect you better there. You may go, I shall call you using the bracelet if I need you. But for now keep your head down and tell no one of this meeting. Do you understand?"
"Yes, Founder."
"Leave the way you arrived, call Eve and tell her to come to the Glass House. I will see you both later."

Alyssa

Strange. One minute I am in Amelie's study in Founder's Square and the next I am in the Glass House. I didn't even walk anywhere, I simply walked through the door I went through in the first place and then it brought me home. Eve is on her way over and has agreed, with much hesitation, to move back in.

Amelie turns up at 7pm and I hear most of the same thing again. The only difference was that at the end she told us what she wants us to do.

"You are to travel to Alaska. There are certain...creatures, you could say, either roaming free,  picking off any human they come across, or trapped within an asylum that they can not escape from. That is where you come in Alyssa."
Eve looks at me shocked.
"There's something I didn't tell you, Eve. I'm a witch." Eve faints.
"That went well." I say under my breath. The vampires chuckle.