Chapter 01 - The Beginning

The bus ride to ANHS was a rather odd one that had me questioning the serious mixed bag of students who were probably going to be my classmates for the coming 3 years.

At one of the stops, there was an old lady who had climbed onto the bus, but with all the seats seemingly occupied, there was no place for her to sit down. I'd have offered my seat to her if I hadn't taken a window seat on the right flank of the bus. The seat to my left was occupied, which would make me getting up to offer my seat both irritating and awkward for me and the long, black haired girl seated next to me.

"Excuse me sir, do you mind?"

I looked ahead. There was a young man wearing the school uniform, sitting down on the seat reserved for senior citizens and people with disabilities. The boy seemed to be very well built from my first observation. He had long blond hair slicked back into an untied pony, with legs crossed over one another. If I had to comment, I'd say he gave off an aura of the rich-kid-with-attitude-and-ego-issues.

"Of course I do", the young man said, running his hand over his hair in the process, "to what pleasure do I owe this mistimed sudden conversation?"

"This old lady here needs a seat. You're sitting on a seat reserved for senior citizens, so it's your duty as a model resident to offer your seat to this lady here!", the officer interjected.

Instead of the guilt that a normal person would feel after being reprimanded for not being a 'model citizen', the man showed no change in expression, and his strange smile was still plastered over his face. He looked amused at the reasoning given by the woman, and instead took out a mirror to check his reflection, before speaking.

"Reserved? I don't understand why that makes a difference. I'm the person who is currently occupying this seat. Why should I vacate it for this old lady? Is it because I am young? I have no legal obligation to move from this seat, and whether I get up or not is completely up to me. Standing expends much more energy than sitting down. Why would I spend and excess amount of energy when I can reserve it? Ha! Your reasoning is nonsense."

This man interested me. He looked the type to be unfazed by anything happening in his surroundings, and I could definitely see how things fan out in school.

I looked at the young female officer, who was taken aback at the student's bold words. There was further banter exchanged between the high school student and the officer, but the student had shut her down completely, and she was now completely helpless.

"I-I'm sor-sorry", the officer bowed down at the old woman, who wanted nothing more than to stop the on-and-off wordplay between the two. I noticed that the boy had put on his earphones, and was currently tuned into a very irritating radio station, whose volume seemed to be high enough for me, sitting 2 seats away, to hear audibly, over the din of the bus engine.

"Uhm, I think you should give up your seat to this elderly woman over here. She's suffering greatly because of it right? I think it would be a contribution to society if you offered your seat."

The new source of the voice was from another high school student who had gotten up from her seat, possibly disturbed by the turn of events that had taken place. She was a pretty one - she had shoulder length blonde hair, a well - endowed figure and carried around a friendly and cheerful vibe. If I had to take a guess, I'd take my chances that she'd be one of the more popular girls in the grade.

The boy seemed to have heard her over the music playing in his earphones. He turned out to be an observant one. No one would have been able to hear over such loud music, unless he had plugged in only one of his earphones. But he had heard everything clearly. Did he just have a superior hearing ability, or was it one purpose, that he had left one of his ears free?