Chapter 25 - The Zodiac Exam, Finale

(The Zodiac Exam Day 3; 7:54pm; Takeyama, Keisuke POV):

"It's the last meeting, you know, and we literally haven't done anything," Miyake-kun lamented, as though it bothered him.

"Isn't that good?" Hasebe-san said, as the 4 of us, including Mori-san, walked towards Room 206. "They won't know about cutting the beans, will they?"

Ah, yes. Cutting the beans. A method of disguising sensitive topics, which basically included talking about the VIP. The four of us had come to a unanimous agreement that 'cutting the beans' would mean 'knowing the identity of the VIP'. We used this even when we weren't in public, just to make sure. It keeps changing everyday. Yesterday, it was 'pull Miyake's underwear.' That was not a unanimous vote.

We entered the Room to find almost everyone already seated. As usual, I took my seat next to Hiyori Shiina, who gave me a warm smile and waved at me as I arrived. Wholesome.

It was the last day, and you could see a certain unrest on Shibata-kun's face. After all, he had gladly stood up as mediator during our discussions, or lack thereof, whenever the situation arose.  If a traitor suddenly appears, then it would be all for naught.

I decided it was finally time to act.

"Everyone, can I have your attention?" All eyes turned to face me, and I was bathed in the spotlight.

"I believe we have come too far to disband all our efforts in this examination. We have painstakingly avoided discussion for 3 days, and it would be all for nothing if a traitor from our group shows up now."

Everyone in the Room agreed to this statement. I was convinced that Hashimoto and Kito will not pull off anything now, since they do not know the identity of the VIP. Furthermore, I can safely assume that they will take part in the discussion, given that they were a part of the Sakayanagi faction. They would never obey Katsuragi's orders to get out of a sticky situation. It would evidently imply that Sakayanagi's strategy did not work, and Katsuragi would turn out to be the sole winner of the faction war in the Snake Group.

 "Sure thing! What do you suggest, Takeyama-kun?" Shibata asked me with a relieved look on his face. He was probably under pressure to guide the group to victory. I wonder why people take the initiative to do something when they are not sure if they can achieve it themselves.

The plan was fairly simple.

*****

(The Zodiac Exam Day 3; 6:37pm):

"Come on Rika, you try it to," Manabe said, urging her friend to raise her hand on the desperate and unarmed girl. "We're doing this for you, you know?"

"I-It's ok, I'll pass.... "

"It's ok, no one's looking anyways," Manabe said. "You're my friend, right?"

The sentence which had a much deeper, hidden implication. If Rika did not bully Karuizawa, then she would inevitably be ostracized from the group. She might as well become the next target.

"A-Alright, I'll try..... "

Pech! A dry and light sounding slap echoed in the room, which probably did not hurt Karuizawa in the least.

"Come on, you can do better," Manabe soothed. "I'll show you."

SLAP! A loud high pitched sound resonated in the stairwell, and Manabe laughed at the pleasure. Karuizawa reeled back in pain, her head hung low, tears streaming down her face.

SLAP! Another one sounded in the empty hall, sounded by Rika. Her lips curved upwards all so slowly, and she relished the joy in giving pain. She slapped Karuizawa once more, even harder. Another time. And one more.