Chapter 50 - Possibilities

[ ✨ Chapter 50! ✨ ]

During Homeroom today, Chabashira-sensei had announced that we would be attacking Class C, since our nominations did not clash with any other class.

But what surprised me the most is that neither Class A nor B chose to attack Class D. Since we were the class at the bottom rung of the ladder, I was half-expecting us to become prime elite cannon fodder.

But apparently Class A and Class B were attacking each other, and Class C and D were battling it out as well. The ideal situation. Furthermore, since I've got a 'deal' with Hiroya Tokito, it either gave me a huge advantage, or a potential spy in our ranks.

Tokito's proposal to bring down Class D had almost no strings attached. It was too good to be true. Class C leaks their questions to us, we win the exam and get promoted to Class C, Ryuuen loses authority in his class, and their administration comes down crumbling.

It's a complete win situation for us.

But that's what makes it suspicious.

Even though I understand that Tokito resents Ryuuen's rule, and would rather have a better method of turning the class around, he chose the hard way out. He wants Class C to fall down completely, and then pin it all on Ryuuen.

It hardly makes any sense.

Any normal person would try to go through with a strategy which tries to protect the class. But Tokito was completely doing it the other way.

I had already assumed that Tokito is probably bluffing, but I still kept my hopes up.

"It's strange....." Horikita murmured. "Why didn't Class A and Class B attack Class D? At the end, as long as they score a better average, they win..... then why....."

She turned to look at me, and I caught her gaze.

"What?" I asked nonchalantly.

"You..... you did something, right?"

"I didn't do anything," I said meekly. "How can I change something like this?"

"No, that's not what I meant..... you and Sakayanagi-san..... went out together last weekend, didn't you?" Horikita asked me calmly.

"What, you're jealous?"

"Not a bit. But what did you talk about with her?" she asked.

Looks like Horikita-chan was slowly starting to understand why I even accepted Sakayanagi's invitation in the first place.

If she hadn't called me out, I would have.

It just saved me a hassle since she herself took the initiative to call me out to the Pallet. And we had the same topic of discussion. It was quite freaky, really.

"Guess what we talked about," I replied airily.

"Tch..... you somehow convinced Sakayanagi-san to not attack Class D..... but how?"

"I have my ways. She was more than happy to oblige."

I could not tell her the reason, of course. Only Kiyotaka and I knew about it. That Sakayanagi-san had called me out that day, and I had told her to not attack Class D, but instead attack Class C. I thought it would have been harder to convince her, but Sakayanagi agreed almost immediately.