Chapter 59 - Rokusuke Kouenji

A/N's:

Clarification for the previous chapter.

It's not an April Fools lmao. It's the real thing.

________________________________________________________________________________

( Takeyama POV, 2 Days Earlier )

"Kiyotaka."

I called out to the young man ahead of me on the road, and he stopped by to let me catch up to him.

"What is it?" he asked me.

"Tomorrow's the last day of school this term," I replied casually. "Wanna go out somewhere for a drink?"

"..... maybe," he replied after a small pause. "You realize that being seen with you too often raises suspicion that I might be the second mastermind, right?"

"It does," I confirmed. "But only to those searching."

"Only to Ryuuen and the others," Kiyotaka completed my sentence. "When you say it, it sounds oddly persuasive....."

"I want you to keep a watch on Karuizawa Kei."

Kiyotaka slowed down a little. "..... have you realized as well?"

"It's a hunch," I said. "Ryuuen will definitely approach Karuizawa. Because tailing us does not get him anywhere. Besides, we've got a tail right now, you know?"

"Why are you talking to me, then? It's suspicious."

"It's Tokito," I replied. "Or in other words, someone who doesn't care for Ryuuen."

"You're taking a risk," Kiyotaka replied. "I understand that Tokito doesn't have the best relations with Ryuuen, but will he let slip such an important evidence just because of a grudge?"

"It's already too late," I responded. "Ryuuen has lost patience. He'll resort to more aggressive and violent tactics now. In other words, he's going to approach his first connection to Class C's hidden mastermind."

"..... Karuizawa-san."

"When was the last time she messaged you?"

"..... yesterday," he replied. "She hasn't contacted me since. It's a bit unnerving. She's usually the one to initiate conversation even when we normally have nothing to talk about."

"You're telling me that Karuizawa-san should have messaged you today, and now you think that she's hiding?"

Just then, a mechanical beep. From Kiyotaka's mobile.

"Don't take it out just yet," I warned. "It could be a message from Ryuuen, and if he's around somewhere, then he'll know that you're the mastermind if you take out your phone."

"I've already thought of that," he replied. "I'll read the message once I reach the dorm."

"Hey, Kiyotaka?"

"Yes?"

"Do you want Ryuuen to know that you're the second mastermind?"

A long pause.

I turned to look at the brown-haired man. He was walking ahead as though he hadn't heard my question, but I knew deep down that he was thinking. Hard.

".....no. I don't see why I should," he finally replied. "I want nothing more than an ordinary school life. If Ryuuen gets to know, then that goes out of the window."

"Mhm. So you don't want Ryuuen to find out, whatever be the case, right?"

"Correct."

I nodded, and we set out towards the dormitory.