Chapter 36 - Classroom of the Elite

I got up from my seat, and jogged up to Sudo, who was currently being a tad bit unapproachable due to our loss against the White Team, more specifically, Ryuuen. His dirty tactics certainly irked everyone in the cavalry battle — including Hirata, even though he might not express it. It was evident that he was perturbed and now cautious of Class C's dangerous yet effective strategy.

"Sudo, you alright?"

"HUH!? Oh, it's you," he snorted. "Of course I'm not alright! It's this damn Class C! They're playing us like fools; they're clearly using foul play! I'm gonna kill each and every last one of them after this Festival!"

Of course, Sudo would be pissed at the turn of events. He was stamped over by Class C, and the rope in tug-of-war was released by Class C. These were blatant violations of the code of conduct, but since we did not have any proof of these incidents, we could no report them. I had managed to stop another incident that probably would have taken place, when Kinoshita faked her injury. It could have been a detrimental hit to our side if Horikita was somehow ejected from the fray.

"Sudo, you know there is no point in doing that," I said calmly. "You cannot prove their foul play. Without evidence, it is very well considered as null and void."

"Shut up, you and your pathetic logic!" Sudo screamed at me. He really was losing it. Hirata had jumped in between us as well, and the entire class worriedly watched the rising tension within the 3 of us.

"Sudo-kun, what Keisuke is saying is correct," Hirata tried to reason. He would have a better chance at negotiating with a rock. "We cannot prove our innocence. We must focus on what's ahead of us."

"Obey me, Hirata, Takeyama. I'm the leader of this Sports Festival. Let's gang up on Ryuuen together."

"I'm not denying that you're the leader. Considering this is a sports festival, you're definitely the leader. But I want you to look around now. Just how many people acknowledge you as a leader?" I replied harshly.

Sudo looks around.

Starting with Ike and the others, most of them kept their distance from the irritated Sudo.

"I'm desperately trying for the sake of the class....." Sudo managed to squeeze out angry words, but several voices were raised in the class, except for Hirata and I.

"Is that really so? Rather than wanting the class to win, isn't it just that you want to show off? Isn't it just that you want to show us just how amazing you are? At the very least, I think so. You're just being swept along by your emotions, and you decide usefulness and uselessness based on that. You get angry. If the class can win with just that alone we would not be having so much trouble. If you're going to throw your weight as the leader around, you need to make rational decisions and give accurate advice."

It was Yukimura who gave Sudo this long speech. Despite suffering from his own results in the sports festival, he's earnestly putting in effort. Sudo seemed to be going out of control.

"Shut up....."

"I feel the same way, Sudo-kun. It's specifically because we're relying on you, that we want you to see the bigger picture. And I want you to respond to the feelings of your comrades."

"Shut up....."

"You should be able to do that, Sudo-kun. That's why -"

"I asked you to shut the hell up!"

I could see everything play out in front of my eyes — Sudo's dominant arm flew forward towards Hirata's unguarded face. I instinctively lashed out my uninjured right arm in front to protect him from the impact.