Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 3

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE RETIRED?!", Sudo bellowed, which caused over half of the Class to flinch. Even though Sudo was slowly gaining respect from his peers, he still hasn't gotten over his rage issues. But for this situation, I think I'll allow it.

Rokusuke Kouenji had retired from the Island Exam.

"It's just as I said, Sudo", Chabashira-sensei sharply cut into Sudo's shouts, "Kouenji has retired from the Special Exam because he said he was sick. He's been taken to the ship, and will remain there until the end of the Test. His absence will cost you 30 Points."

"I can't believe it", Yukimura stated exasperatedly, "I knew he wasn't gonna be of any help from the beginning, but he's now making us lose Points instead! Does he not care?"

"That is the problem, he doesn't care", Akito added in, "he definitely left because he just wanted to get back to the ship and use all its facilities."

"I don't think there is any point crying over spilt milk", Hirata said, albeit a tone of anger in his voice, "we must try to decide how we should come back from this setback. We cannot waste anymore time."

"Hirata, don't you think you're being a little too lenient?", Shinohara asked, "Kouenji just bailed out on us like it was nothing, and you're asking us to keep quiet about it?"

"What Hirata-kun said is absolutely correct." Everyone's heads turned towards the long black haired girl, "we cannot waste any more time. We must secure Points for ourselves. I think we should start off with our day without any delay. I don't see what good it would do to badmouth Kouenji-kun now, Shinohara-san."

The Class, though irritated at this sudden development, reluctantly moved about on their activities. I, for one, had decided to go fishing today, along with Ike-kun and Sudo-kun. I definitely did not want to associate myself further with that group, but it would be much worse if we ended up with no fish to eat. So I decided to tag along as well.

We had only 2 fishing rods, so me and Sudo decided to wait it out and take turns in patiently holding the rod. After about 10 minutes or so, Ike suddenly jumped into the air.

"Yo, YO! I think I got a big one! Ken, Takeyama, help me out with this!"

Me and Sudo quickly hurried over to Ike's side, and tugged at the pole along with him. Almost immediately, the fishing bob splashed out of the water, and caught onto it was a fish, not more than 10cm big.

"Seriously, Kanji? You're that weak? I thought you had a shark or something. I've seen bigger in my aquarium."

"Come on, man! You don't get to say that until you catch a fish yourself!"

"Oh yeah? That's a challenge? I accept! I'll show you how real men fish, Kanji!", Sudo declared, as he took of his shirt and waved it in the air in some sort of self-proclaimed victory. I sighed at their painful innocence, and moved back towards the camp.

"Hey, Takeyama, wanna go and get some sticks for the bonfire tonight? Ayanokoji and Sakura are coming along as well!", Yamauchi suddenly pranced towards me.

"Don't you already have enough people? Why do you need me as well?", I questioned, "besides it's not even noon yet. Why are you already preparing for a bonfire?"

"Nah man, we don't have enough people! Just come along, will ya?! Stop asking questions!". With that, Yamauchi dragged me along with the other 2 for gathering sticks in the shrubbery.

"Wow", I grumbled, picking up random sticks that I thought would light up in a fire. I wasn't exactly sure what kind of sticks would be needed for a bonfire, but I definitely knew that wet sticks wouldn't do the trick. So I restricted myself to picking up only the dry ones.