Chapter 68.5 - Desire

( Third Person POV )

A white wall.

An enormous white wall, that seemed to stretch out forever into the corridor ahead.

A boy of 9, with messy black hair, and a pretty face, stared down the hallway. But he couldn't see the end of it.

A hand pulled him on ahead, and he continued to walk. The man who was holding his hand led him into another room.

A room with a comfortable-looking bed, but several machines that the boy had become used to seeing. Several men and women in lab coats, staring at him with an expression which he could not distinguish.

Was it apathy?

Was it pity?

Was it an emotion he was familiar with?

Maybe.

If he remembers correctly, a soft look in the eyes, paired with either a corrugator and depressor anguli oris contraction, results in a sad smile.

But that wasn't the expression that was present on their faces.

In fact, he couldn't tell what expression they really had, masked under their laboratory equipment and face shield.

He knew what he needed to do, though. He wordlessly lay down on the bed, and closed his eyes.

Soon, he could feel several straps being used to restrict him in place.

A soft prick of a needle, on his right arm.

Another one on the left.

And a few more on each arm.

The anesthesia started to set in, and he could slowly feel himself lose consciousness. The world around him began to twist and twirl out of existence.

He closed his eyes, and let the feeling engulf him.

Because this was the only moment in his waking time that he ever felt at peace.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Watching him?"

A young girl stared through the glass window of the Operation Theatre, curiously gazing at the black-haired boy being restricted by straps, and having several tests being done on him.

"Yes," the girl replied, not looking up once to greet the elder visitor. "I watch him every now and then."

"Why?"

The red-haired girl thought of an answer.

"It's interesting," she said simply, still staring intently at the doctors doing their job. "Why are you doing that to him? Doesn't it hurt?"

The elderly man, who went by the name Ayanokoji, simply smirked. "You've gone through quite some hellish training as well, Ichika. Do you feel bad for the boy?"

"I don't know," she said. "But he's going through a lot of pain. You can see him squirming in his sleep."

It was true. The boy seemed to be a bit uncomfortable, and once in a while, he would twitch rather suddenly, and then stay still, almost like he had died. But the soft beeping of the monitor continued to ensure his survival.

"Some people need to go through the pain, Ichika. To help the others on the same path without them faltering. That's how the world works, does it not?"

The girl remained silent.

"The first man on the Moon knew how dangerous and hard it would be to complete the mission. The mortality rate was incredibly high. Yet, he persevered, and along with 2 other astronauts, they successfully conquered the Moon. Would we humans be where we are today without their valor and bravery?"