Chapter 07 - Midterms

Kikyo Kushida slowly adjusted her earphones and acted as if she were listening to music. Good. Looks like she was following my instructions.

"I need you to do something for me. However, do not speak. You'll be caught otherwise. If you understand what I just said, raise your left hand to your neck."

Keeping your mouth closed while speaking, also known as ventriloquism. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, and it is insanely helpful. Especially for situations like these. Right now, I'm just another person who was sitting and having their lunch alone. Even if Kushida were to look at me when I was talking, she would not know it was me, since my mouth is not moving at all. A perfect and foolproof method to avoid suspicion.

The human mind always tries to a search for a the source of sound with vision. In the cafeteria right now, there were numerous students chatting away. She could not possibly pinpoint me as the speaker, as my mouth isn't moving.

Kushida, looking reluctant at first, raised her left hand to her neck, pretending to remove her hair. I approved at her signal, and decided to continue with the next course of action.

"Now I need you to move to your left, 2 tables down the row", I said, giving her simple and clear directions, "and stop. You will find a senior who is eating one of the free meals provided by the Cafeteria. I want you to approach him. Do not say anything as of now."

Kushida obliged, and walked down the row to the seat that I was referring to. She stopped in front of the senior, and waited for me to speak again.

"Strike up a friendly conversation. I want you to ask him about the practice papers and Midterm question papers he had attempted in his first year, and how much he is wiling to sell them for. Quote your maximum as 10,000. He will definitely try to increase the price, and probably stop at around 30,000. Bargain for a bit and try to negotiate it to 20,000. Maximum 25,000. I will transfer the points to you later."

Kushida seemed to understand what I was getting at, and walked up to the senior. The upperclassman looked at Kushida as she approached.

"Try to entice your offer by looking at his meal", I said, "say something like, 'that definitely doesn't look tasty'."

"Uhm, senpai? I was wondering if I could talk to you for a bit?"

"What business can a kouhai have with me?", the senior reported. I could hear him over Kushida's speaker.

"I just wanted to say that that meal doesn't look very delicious, does it?"

The upperclassman narrowed his eyes. "What is your point?"

"I was saying we could have a deal, senpai. I'm sure you'll have your Practice Question Papers and Midterm Question Paper from your 1st year with you. I can buy it from you for a certain amount of Private Points."

The upperclassman seemed to consider the offer. "How much are we talking about here?"

"About 10,000."

"Too low. I cannot go lower than 30,000 points."

I could see Kushida's expression change, for just a fraction of a second, to wonder and amazement, at how I had exactly predicted what price the senior would quote. Nevertheless, she continued to bargain with the senpai.

"30,000 points is a bit too much. 15,000 is the maximum points I can offer. Anything above seems to be a waste for me senpai. You need the points as well right? You cannot hope to possibly turn this into a one sided deal."

Kushida was smart. She was egging him on the right way. Just a bit more, and he would concede.

"25,000 points. Take it or leave it."