Chapter 57 - Family

( Ayanokoji POV )

"Ayanokoji-kun, would you like to hang out with me tomorrow?"

I was approached by Sato-san after school that day, and she asked me to hang out with her. I could feel the penetrating stares of the Ayanokoji Group boring into me, and Haruka especially seemed very interested in why someone as popular as Sato-san had approached me.

"Tomorrow.....?"

I thought back to my schedule. Tomorrow is the day I had planned to hang out with Keisei, Akito and the others. I didn't want to cancel it over an invitation that came to me later.

But I didn't want to deny Sato-san either. It was very evident that she was asking me out on a date. I didn't want to make Sato-san sad. But I didn't want to abandon the Ayanokoji Group either.

"Eh..... is it not..... a good time?" Sato asked me nervously, when she noticed my silence.

"I'm sorry, Sato-san. I've got plans for tomorrow already. I hope we can go together sometime else." In the end, I rejected Sato-san's offer. My vision flickered to the homeroom teacher of our Class, Chabashira-sensei, who was currently doing some paperwork in class. However, she kept shooting me glances every now and then, so I realized that there was something she needed to talk to me about.

"That's ok! We can go sometime later then!" Sato-san regained her cheerful personality. "Later, Ayanokoji-kun!" And she bounded off outside the class.

I sped out of the classroom as well, so that I didn't end up being stopped by the Ayanokoji Group today. From what I'm seeing, it looks like Chabashira-sensei was dying to talk to me. Some important matter?

I exited into the hallway, but instead of taking the usual left, I took a right, and stopped near the lesser-frequented staircase with my back against the wall.

In a few minutes, Chabashira-sensei arrived in front of me.

"Do you want something?"

"Yes. It's urgent," Chabashira-sensei replied crisply.

"I've got plans today," I said. "I need to meet up with Horikita-san and Takeyama-kun."

"As a teacher, I don't want to be careless. But circumstances being what they are, this is necessary," she replied. Chabashira-sensei who usually sported an inhumane composure, had a strangely vulnerable expression.

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"Unfortunately, you can't refuse."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll understand soon."

I studied the teacher's expression. This was the first time I had seen her so obviously flustered and vulnerable. It made me realize the gravity of whatever was about to occur.

She knocked on the door of the room she had led me to. "Principal, I have brought Ayanokoji Kiyotaka-kun."

A calm and steady voice responded. "Enter."

Heeding to his advice, Chabashira-sensei swung the door open, and I laid my eyes upon the Principal of the school. I wasn't sure of his name.

And another man, sitting down on the sofa in the office, as he eyed me with hostility.

"Welcome, Ayanokoji Kiyotaka-kun," the Principal greeted me respectfully. "I think I'll take my leave now, and leave the two of you alone. Excuse me."

I nodded at the Principal's direction, and he left the room, along with Chabashira-sensei.

They closed the door behind them.

I stared silently at the man in front of me.

"How about you take a seat? I came all the way to meet you, after all." His voice remained the same.