Chapter 60 - True Defeat

"So you've been hiding in plain sight huh, Kouenji."

The blond flipped his magnificent mane like they do in shampoo commercials. "Alas, it seems Dragon-boy has resorted to the age-old tradition of torture to provoke a response from a harmless girl. Shame on you."

Ryuuen raised his eyebrows as the nickname that he had received from Kouenji.

"Wait, is Kouenji the..... second mastermind?" Ishizaki returned to the door with 2 buckets of water, and stood staring at the imposing man.

"Kuku. That's what it seems like," Ryuuen mocked. "I thought you didn't like involving yourself in shitty class affairs, Kouenji."

"I do not have to give you a reason for why I help my class with their 'shitty' class affairs, as you phrase it?" Kouenji replied, and he pulled out a mirror to inspect his fabulous reflection. "I wonder if you will tell me why you involve yourself in class affairs, Dragon-boy?"

"Call me that once again, and I'll kill you."

"Oh? I would like to see you try, Dragon-boy."

Ryuuen stood his ground, but grit his teeth nevertheless.

From what he had heard, Kouenji was a mysterious existence. His physical and mental abilities were no joke. One could say he was top-tier in the grade. Ryuuen did not want to make any wrong moves.

"I thought it would be someone who didn't stand out much," Ryuuen replied. "To think that it would be you, what a let-down. I wanted to be surprised."

Kouenji merely laughed, and continued to look at his reflection. He then took out a bottle of gel from his pocket, and stared styling his hair.

Karuizawa stared at Kouenji like he were a clown.

"W-what.....? K-Kouenji-kun.....?"

"Ah, it looks like Karuizawa-girl has finally acknowledged my wonderful presence," Kouenji remarked. "Fear not, my lady. You shall be freed from the clutches of this tyrant soon."

Ryuuen smirked. "You think you can get away from here in one piece, Kouenji? I'm going to make you bow down to me. Besides, I've got my own suspicions. How do I know you are the real X?"

Kouenji narrowed his eyes.

"Oh? Now you're trying to disprove what exists before your measly eyes, Dragon-boy? I expected better," he said amiably. "I wonder how I should prove it?"

"Oi, Karuizawa," Ryuuen turned to menacingly stare at the drenched girl. "This is X? If I find out later that he isn't, I'll make you regret it."

Karuizawa continued to stare at the ground, lost in thought.

"I want an answer."

"Kouenji-kun is X," Karuizawa breathed out, her gaze flickering between Ryuuen an Kouenji. "But why..... why did you come, Rokusuke....."

"Ha! Because I said that you're under my protection, young lady," Kouenji merely flipped his hair again. "I am here to assist you, since you've assisted me so flawlessly throughout the last few months."

Ryuuen stared at Karuizawa, and then Kouenji.

He did not know if Karuizawa was telling the truth or not.

However, he could not prove that she was lying either. From what evidence that he had gathered, it seemed that Kouenji indeed was X. His abilities were matching to those that he assumed the mastermind would possess as well. Unless this were a ploy to distract Ryuuen from the real hidden mastermind, or whether this was Takeyama's doing, there was no way he could know about it.