Chapter 13

Hi.

The sound of wood snapping wakes me. I try to sit up and hiss in pain. Jin hyung looks up from the fire and quickly moves to my side. I point to the rock by the fire and he helps me to stand. He wraps his arm around my waist and I lean on him.

I sit down and he hands me some dried meat and his water pouch. I'm exhausted and my body feels like I was stampeded by a herd of horses. It's night-time. I look up at the stars and close my eyes, praying for Jungkook to find us.

"Let me take a look Tae." hyung pulls the leather bandage away and looks over his work. I turn to see it and wince. The flesh is melded together and it is puckered and angry-looking. Hyung touches it gently and I clench my teeth to keep from crying out.

"It has cooled some. That is good. It means it is not infected." He lays the bandage back over my flesh and moves to sit across from me. I hand him some of the dried meat and he smiles at me.

"How long was I asleep?" It was late morning when we were ambushed and now it seems to be late night. The cricket's chirp and the water rushes in the spring. Silver snorts occasionally and her tail flicks back and forth waving away the flies.

"It has been many hours. You slept like the dead." I smile in apology and he grins back at me. We sit in silence while we eat a meager dinner of dried meat and water. My heart yearns for jungkook. I can only pray that he is safe.
Hyung has his head tilted up to the stars, his eyes closed. I suspect he is also saying her own prayer for Namjoon. He must be missing his children too.
He opens his eyes and smiles softly at me, stifling a yawn.

"You should get some rest hyung. I will keep watch." Hyung goes to object and I hold up my hand, silencing him.

"I am your prince and you will obey me." I smile slightly at him to soften my words. He nods and settles back against the tree.

"Maybe just for a bit." He yawns again and closes his eyes. I slide my dagger from the holster at my hip. I clench it in my hand, my eyes scanning our surroundings. I have to stay on guard. My shoulder and back ache fiercely from the pressure.

...

I struggle to pull up my leggings and rinse my hands in the water. Twigs snapping grab my attention and I hunker down on the bank. I move to the small foliage and peek out. Three Imperials skulk in the shadows. No, they are not imperial warriors, they are rivals.

I watch as they creep closer to our tiny fire. I can barely make out jin hyung's small form perched against the tree, sleeping. I pull my dagger free and remember the training Jungkook gave me. I pull a jewel free from my belt and toss it by the third riders boot. He stops and kneels down to pick it up. The other two leave him behind, their attention zoned in on jin hyung . I grit my teeth and hunt the rider.

He is taller and bigger than me so I have to use the element of surprise. I rear back and swing my leg as hard as I can into his balls. He grunts and falls to his knees, holding his crotch. I grab his head and slice my blade cleanly across his throat. He gurgles quietly and falls to the ground dead. I hunch over and try to catch my breath. Spots dance in my vision. I clean my blade on my leggings and stalk forward. I realize too late that there are four not three rival riders. A hand grips my hair and the other locks around my throat. I watch in horror as jin hyung is taken hostage.

"Hyung!" I try to warn him but it's to late. One of the men captures him and holds a knife to his throat. He tries to struggle as the men pushes the blade against his skin. Blood wells up from the small incision and I yell at hyung to quit moving. He watches me with wide, frightened eyes.