Chapter 1: Belt Fish & Seaweed

Scene: Episode 7 (When Do san and Ji Pyeong are fighting over changing the lightbulbs)

Dal mi's POV

"What else do you need to get fixed?" Do san asks me.

"What else do you need me to carry? I can carry anything." Ji Pyeong says.

It was amusing to watch Do san and Ji Pyeong rush around fixing and carrying things. It's a bizarre sight especially - to see someone as high up as Ji Pyeong doing something so... mediocre. A deep sense of embarrassment hits me in the gut when I see Ji Pyeong sweating and his hair is plastered to his forehead with sweat.

What am I doing?

I just made my mentor do manual labour work... I mentally slap myself.

As we are seated at the dinner table, Halmeoni asks me to split the beltfish. I look at Ji Pyeong and his expensive watch and I look back to the cheap, boney beltfish... Surely this is not suited to his taste. I bring the knife down and cut a smaller piece to give to Ji Pyeong. At least in this way, there's less beltfish that he has to force himself to eat.

When I watch Ji pyeong's eyes grow wide as I hand Do san the bigger piece of fish, I realise I've made a big mistake. Trying to be as subtle as possible, I nudge Halmeoni's foot under the table.

"Dal mi has told me a lot about you," Halmeoni says as she exchanges her bigger sized fish with Ji Pyeong's smaller fish.

I mentally sigh with relief. Thank goodness Halmeoni got the hint.

Ji Pyeong eats the beltfish like it's the most flavourful thing in the world. He radiates such humility and kindness.

"Ah, time to clean the dishes." I say as I pick up the sponge after dinner is over.

"I can help you." Ji Pyeong and Do san say simultaneously.

Halmeoni looks up in surprise at their sudden burst of enthusiasm.

"Ah, Do san and Good b- I mean, Ji Pyeong-ah, there's no need to help. Dal mi and I can do the dishes just fine." Halmeoni nags.

"It's okay, I've always done the dishes at home." Do san says and steps up to the sink full of dishes. "Mr Han, you better not wash the dishes. You don't want to ruin your expensive watch." Do san says and nods towards the living room, gesturing Ji Pyeong away from the kitchen.

Ji Pyeong glares at him.

"Why do you call him Mr Han? That's a bit formal isn't it?" I ask, genuinely confused. Why would you address your friend with such formality?

"Oh! It's because... mmm... like you said, we should all... be professional when we're all in the same industry... you know?" Do san says quickly.

Before I can respond, Do san swipes up the sponges and busies himself with the dishes.

"Ah then, Good b- I mean Ji Pyeo- I mean Mr Han, how about you have some tea with me. Dal mi and Do san can handle the dishes just fine." Halmeoni says and takes Ji pyeong's arm and leads him out of the kitchen.

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Aiyo, Good boy!" Halmeoni yells at me when we're out of hearing range from the kitchen.

"Why?" I ask, stunned by Halmeoni's sudden exclamation. I start to apologise for showing up unexpectedly. Halmeoni slaps my arm.

"Ah! That hurts!" I say, rubbing my arm.

"Do you think I would really scold you for coming here to eat? Of course not!" Halmeoni says. "I can't believe how skinny you've become!" She says and starts touching my face.

"Ah, Halmeoni, I'm okay." I laugh as she smiles at me.

"You're okay? Did you see yourself at dinner time? You barely ate anything!" Halmeoni yelps. I smile again as my heart fills with warmth.

"I'll ask Dal mi to send over some side dishes okay?" Halmeoni starts fussing over me.

"Halmeoni, it's really okay." I laugh.

She slaps my arm again.

"Ah! I said that hurts!" I whine like a child.

"What do you want to eat? Just tell me, I'll make it for you. If I don't, soon you'll become a skinny beanpole! Then no girl would want to marry you." Halmeoni nags.

"Wah Halmeoni, that one really hurt." I pretend to rub my broken heart. Halmeoni smiles at me.

"So, what do you want to eat?" She asks me with a warm glow in her eyes.

"Mmm, corn dogs?" I grin at her.

"Is that the only thing you eat?" Halmeoni sighs at me.

"Why? Your corn dogs are delicious. If I could, I'd eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner." I say.

"Okay, okay." Halmeoni says, sounding completely resigned. "Aish, you really do have the palate of a small boy, don't you Good Boy." Halmeoni laughs.

~

Dal mi's POV

"Aren't you two going home together?" I ask Ji Pyeong and Do san as they head home.

"Oh, do you need a ride? Let me fetch you back." Ji Pyeong says to Do san.

"Ah, that reminds me. Dal mi, I emailed you the answers to all your questions." Ji Pyeong says.

"Really?" I gasp in shock. "How? I sent you so many questions!" I exclaim. My heart is filled with both gratitude and admiration for him.

"You sent me 461 questions, to be exact." Ji Pyeong says.

"Oh, you have something in your hair." Ji Pyeong says as he steps forward to pull a white thread from my hair. The touch sends a spark through my body. I jump a bit, away from his touch.

In response, Ji Pyeong drops his hand away and looks away awkwardly.

"Thank you for answering all my questions. Mr Han, you really are the best!" I say and give him a big thumbs up.

Do san's POV

Every cell of my being nearly screams as I watch Ji Pyeong remove a thread caught in Dal mi's hair. There's something so tender about his actions. Something so affectionate.

"Are we going?" I call Ji Pyeong and get into the car.

~

"... I'm not using her." I tell Ji Pyeong as he drives us home. "I've started to really..."

The words hang onto my mouth. I've started to really like her.

Ji Pyeong's car comes to a sharp shop next to the bus stop. He wears an obvious expression of displeasure on his face.

"Get out." Ji pyeong says.

I rub the area between my eyebrows that hurts. As I'm getting out, something doesn't sit well with me. And I have to ask.

"Mr Han," I ask him. He looks at me with a stark display of annoyance. "Are you jealous?"

"What?" Ji Pyeong throws his head back in laughter. "I think you don't know what the word 'jealous' means." Ji Pyeong says.

But his expression suggests otherwise. I've never seen someone who is supposedly not jealous so bothered by this.

"So you're not jealous?" I ask.
"I'm not." Ji Pyeong says too quickly.

I nod and head out of the car.