Chapter 20: Stormy Skies

Halmeoni's POV

I can't stop thinking of the way Dal mi cried in my arms at the beach that day as I hang up signs asking for part time help on the corn dog cart.

My heart is so heavy. I can't bear seeing her in this way.

A guilt gnaws at my heart... I blame myself for starting all this. For starting the letters, for lying and finding a Do san that Dal mi never loved.

"Are you worried about something?" Good Boy's voice rings behind me. I whirl around and smile at me. I'm always happy to see him.

"Aiyo Good Boy! What are you doing here?" I smile at him.

"I'm here to return this." Good Boy says as he hands me a bag that carries the borrowed t-shirt and lunchboxes.

"Aiyo, you could have just kept it." I say.

"I would've felt bad." Good Boy says. "Anyway, it's still bright and early. Why are you sighing non-stop?" Good Boy asks me.

"I'm worried." I sigh.

"Why?" Good Boy asks.

"Dal mi and Do san broke up." I say heavily. Good Boy looks up at me.
"What?" He says and sounds breathless.

"Ah, I don't know what to do..." I sigh. Then a thought shoots through my mind. "That's right! The letter!" I clap my hands together. "I should go find it. Maybe if I gave it to Do san, it would help them." I say.

Good Boy looks at me with a solemn expression.

"What letter?" He asks.

"She was looking for Do san a while back to meet In jae. Do you remember? It's at the old cherry tree in front of my old corn dog shop in Seonju. I should go get it." I say.

"Will that really help?" Good Boy asks me.

"Huh?" I ask. Good Boy takes a deep breath.

"I mean, I'm the real Do san. Aren't I? I'm the real Do san that Dal mi is looking for." Good Boy says.

"What?" I ask Good Boy again.

"I'm out. I don't want to lie to Dal mi anymore." Good Boy says. "I don't want to lie to myself either..." He says.

As if cued, the moment Good Boy utters those words, rain starts to fall from the sky. Seconds ago, brilliant white clouds were twirling across the sky. But now, the sky is capped with heavy grey clouds.

"What do you mean, Good Boy?" I ask.

"I've been lying to you, Halmeoni. I've been lying to myself as well." Good Boy says as rain drips down his face.
"What do you mean? Quickly, come inside, you're getting wet!" I gesture for him to seek shelter in the corn dog cart, but Good Boy remains rooted where he is. Rain pours down on him.

"You asked me back then whether I have feelings for Dal mi..." Good Boy says. His voice quivers. My heart breaks for him. "I lied back then... I said back then that I didn't... I'm sorry Halmeoni. I'm sorry Halmeoni. But I do. I do have feelings for Dal mi." Good Boy cries in the rain.

My heart breaks for me. But at the same time, my heart leaps.

"Really? Are you sure?" I ask, unable to believe this miracle unfolding before me.

"Yes Halmeoni. I'm sorry. I really am." Good Boy breaks down as I wrap him in my arms.

"No, don't be. Good Boy, you've just answered my prayers." I say with tears of joy welling up in my eyes.

'What?" Good Boy steps back and looks at me. I hold his face in my hands.

"Dal mi said the reason she broke up with Do san is because he's not the Do san that she knows. He's not you." My words have a visible effect on Good Boy. A light of hope starts to glow in his eyes.

"Even Do san knew it. He knew it. He told Dal mi that he could never fill the void in her heart... because he figured that only you can fill that space." I say. My voice shakes. It shakes with gratitude.

"Really?" Ji pyeong's eyes are wide with amazement.

"You mean..." He can barely utter words.
"Yes, Good Boy. She is looking for you." I say sweetly.

Ji pyeong suddenly springs to life.

"I need to find her. I need to find her. I need to get that letter and I need to find her." Good Boy beams. "Halmeoni, I'll call you later!" He says as he starts to run off.

"Good Boy! Wait!" I call after him and hand him an umbrella.

I watch him sprint off in the rain. I'm drenched from head to toe but my heart has never been warmer.