Chapter 28: Heaven & Earth

Dal mi's POV

Today is Demo Day. My heart beats frantically in my chest. I have to pat myself several times, willing my chest to stop pounding.

"Are you okay?" Do san asks me as he hands me a bottle of water. I take it gratefully.

"I'm a bit nervous." I admit. "Actually, I'm a lot nervous." I correct myself.

"Don't worry. We'll all be there. And Chul san, Yong san and I will answer the technical questions if the need arises." Do san says. "Hwaiting!" He cheers.

"Hwaiting!" I say. The rapid beating in my heart still doesn't cease.
"Aish, this is so annoying." I sigh as I try to take deep breaths, willing myself to calm down.

"How long more do we have before the presentation?" I ask Do san.

"About five more hours." Do san says, glancing at the clock.

"I need to get some fresh air. Call me if you need anything, okay?" I say. Do san nods.

~

I walk leisurely in the Sandbox lobby. The bright colours help distract me a bit. I wish Ji pyeong was here right now. He'd definitely be able to soothe any nervousness.

"... is it true, In jae? You're the girl on the swing?" I hear voices ring behind me.

"Yes. My dad used to place sand on the ground so I could swing without any fear." In jae's words are like a stab to the chest.

I whirl around and walk straight towards her.

"Oh? Dal mi?" In jae says as she sees me approach them.

"I need to talk to you." I say. She follows me out.

"How could you do that?" I try to stop my voice from shaking with anger. My entire being feels like it's being wrecked with betrayal. The images come rushing in: My dad beyond devastated after my mother and In jae left him... The awful moment when In jae grew up too fast... the memory of her boasting that her surname is now Won...

"What?" In jae asks.

"You stole my story. You said you were the girl on the swing." I say with a sharp tone. I have to resist the urge to slap her. Slapping her for all those moments of betrayal and humiliation she gave us.

In jae looks at me like I'm a child throwing a tantrum in kindergarten and she's the teacher.

"Yes. I stole your story to get into Sandbox? So what?" She folds her hands together.

"So what? So what?" I breathe the words out in disbelief. "You have the audacity to abandon my dad and then make one of my stories with him your own?" I feel tears of anger well in my eyes.

"It's your story, yes. But let me ask you... between the two of us, who is whimpering more? Who is shaking with fear? Me or you?" In jae says in a condescending tone.

"What?" I look at her in disbelief. A fire burns in my chest. "I'm completely fine!" I say harshly.

"Oh I forgot..." In jae says mockingly. "Now you have a powerful backing, huh? Han Ji pyeong." In jae wears a fake smile.
"What?" That's all I can utter.

"Here's a piece of advice." In jae says sarcastically. "Mr Han is a senior manager in the great SH Venture Capital. You are barely scraping by, begging people to take a look at your AI..." Her words bite. "You don't think Mr Han will soon realise how different the two of you are? He's heaven and you are simply earth. Heaven and earth don't belong together."

Tears well up in my eyes.

"I think I can speak for myself." I think I'm dreaming when I hear Ji pyeong's words. He comes up and puts a protective arm around me. He pulls me behind him as he stands between In jae and I.

"Ms Won, I think you're severely mistaken. Heaven and earth? Dal mi is heaven, my heaven. That's all I'll ever need to know." Ji pyeong says with a fierceness in his voice.

In jae presses her lips together and backs away slowly.

"This is ridiculous." She hisses under her breath and walks away.

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Are you okay?" I ask Dal mi. Her face feels hot in my hands and her eyes are red.

"I'm okay." She says and forces a smile, even though a tear falls down my cheek.

"Ji pyeong ah," Dal mi says quietly as I wipe the tear away. "I'm really..." She tries to catch her breath in between tears. "I'm really not trying to date you with any..." She hiccups. "... any ulterior motive. Really." She squeezes out the words.

My heart breaks as I see her in this state.

I sweep her into my arms.

"I know. Of course I know." I say and stroke her hair. "If anything, you're a majestic eagle soaring in the sky and I'm a small chicken pecking at the ground." I joke and draw away to look at Dal mi. Dal mi laughs with shining eyes.

"A chicken? Oh no. If you were a bird, you'd be a Frigatebird." Dal mi laughs.

"A what?" I ask.

"A Frigatebird. You know? Those birds that puff their chest up when they get angry?" Dal mi says and pretends to act like the bird as she sticks her chest out.
"When I get angry?" I laugh. "I'm exceptionally cool and calm, you know?"

"Oh really?" Dal mi smirks at me. "What was that that I witnessed just now? I was so scared you were going to devour In jae." Dal mi has her cheerful smile back again. I am glad.

"Aish... that was..." My voice trails on. "Aish, how could I not get mad at her when she made you upset?"

"Ah, you're cute even when you get angry." Dal mi says. I smile as blood rushes to my cheeks.

~

I walk Dal mi back to the office and am relieved to see her more lighthearted.

I take her hand when we reach the office and kiss it.

"For good luck." I tell her and she smiles.

"I'll see you after the presentation, okay?" Dal mi says and I nod.