Chapter 10: As You Close Your Eyes

Dal mi's POV

"Ah... which way am I going? I seem to be heading further and further into the mountains. Aish! What should I do?" I groan as I try to find my way out of this seemingly deserted area. I mentally curse myself for following the director all the way to Gapyeong to tell her about Noon Gi. A small part of me had hope that today would be a success; that our efforts would pay off... but alas, our efforts were futile.

"Oh! I got some reception!" I say excitedly as I look at my phone. My finger hovers over Do san's contact. I hesitate to call him. You can cut the awkward tension between us with a knife.

I know he is Do san. He is Nam Do san. But he's not the Nam Do san that I fell in love it. For so long, we've both been trying... but the ending almost seems inevitable. I feel it in my gut that one of us needs to initiate the break up soon. We can't possibly work like this. I'm sure Yong san, Chul san and Sa ha find it uncomfortable to work in an environment shrouded with tension and awkwardness.

If you had told me years ago that I could break up with Nam Do san, I would probably be heartbroken. But now... surprisingly, the thought of bringing our relationship to an end provides me with a sense of relief. No doubt, there's still a sense of longing. But these feelings of longing are for someone who doesn't exist anymore. They belong to the Nam Do san from fifteen years ago.

"I'm going to have to break up with him." I say to myself.

At that moment, a truck rushes past me and I jump away in shock.

"Ah jeez! WHAT IS THIS!" I exclaim as I see my heel buried in cow dung. I hold the shoe up and gag as the horrid stench invades my nostrils.

"Are you serious?" I scream as I rub my shoes against the grass, trying futilely to remove the awful dung.

The sound of a car's horn beeps behind me. I twirl around.

"Mr Han!" I say as Ji pyeong steps out of the car. I'm overcome with relief. "What are you doing here?" I ask him.
"Oh, I was doing something in the area." Ji Pyeong says. "Come on, get in. I'll give you a ride back" He says and gestures to the car.

"But... my shoe..." I say slowly and hold it up for Ji Pyeong to see. "It's covered in cow dung..."

"Cow dung?" Ji Pyeong says and steps towards the shoe.

"Aish!" He exclaims as the smell punches me as well. Carefully, he takes the shoe from me.

I'm overcome with gratitude towards him.

"Mr Han, are you a guardian angel or something?" I say when I get into the car.

"What?" Ji Pyeong laughs.

"I mean, you always show up whenever I'm having trouble. Mr Han, are you a supernatural being?" I ask.

"Mmm, you're right. I have my Superman suite under these clothes." Ji Pyeong laughs. "Also," He starts. "You don't need to keep calling me Mr Han... it's too formal." He says.

"Ji pyeong?" I say his name. "Ji pyeong?" I taste his name across my lips, saying it for the first time.

"So anyway, why did you come all the way here, Mr- I mean, Ji Pyeong?" I say.

"Mmm..." Ji pyeong's eyes are fixed on the window. "Oh, I always come here for their pine nut kalguksu." Ji pyeong says.

"You came all the way here for their kalguksu." I ask, surprised.

"Orh, it's really good." Ji pyeong smiles at me.

"Dal mi, you should take a nap. You must be exhausted from pulling those all-nighters." Ji pyeong says.

"I can't fall asleep in people's cars." I say. It's true. I've never been able to fall asleep in other people's cars. But somehow, the presence of Ji pyeong is like a lullaby. It brings a great sense of calmness and I feel the heavyweight of fatigue descend upon me.

Ji Pyeong's POV

I smile in amusement as I turn to see Dal mi completely knocked out in the passenger's seat. She looks so peaceful as she rests her head. I notice her pale cheeks that can only be a result from working late through the night. I reach out to brush her hair away from her face, but stop mid way. A surreal sort of affection for Dal mi has worked its way into my heart. But so many factors hold me back. I drop my hand. My gaze dances upon her for a second before shifting back to the road ahead.

The sun has set by the time we're back in the city. Dal mi still sleeps peacefully like an angel. Throughout the trip, I steal small glances at her. There's just something so comforting about her presence.

Carefully, I reach out and press the button to recline the passenger's seat.

Dal mi moves her head but her eyes remain closed.

"Ji pyeong ah..." She says.

"Oh?" I ask. Her eyes remain shut. She must be sleep-talking. A small laugh burst from my lips.

"Ji pyeong ah..." She says again, in a slurred sleepy voice.

"What is it?" I laugh, playing along.

"Ji pyeong..." Dal mi says again before she stops shifting and drops back into a deep sleep.

"Have a good sleep." I whisper, feeling the warmth that comes from her calling my name.